No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Slag Shoe id  (Read 2093 times)

Offline ginfor

• Members
    • http://www.ginforsodditiques.com
Purple Slag Shoe id
« on: November 20, 2005, 05:42:59 AM »
I managed to snag this Victorian high top button shoe at an auction yesterday, but attributing it (as usual) has been more difficult than buying it.  The piece is about 6 1/4 inches tall and stands on a diamond shaped base.  I've been leaning toward Sowerby but I've got nothing to support it as yet.

Click here to see the shoe

Thanks.
Forrest

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Purple Slag Shoe id
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:45:25 AM »
I haven't seen one before, so it is probably not Sowerby or even British.   Are you sure it is Victorian?    Davidson made purple/white and orange/white marbled glass in the 1960s, and there has been other small-scale production through the years from various glassworks worldwide.

Quote from: ginfor
I've been leaning toward Sowerby but I've got nothing to support it as yet.
Clever, elegant, and subtle.   I can see you are a practised wordsmith.    Thanks for making me smile.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ginfor

• Members
Slag Shoe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 11:11:12 PM »
Color, feel, look, even the amount of dirt in the bottom make me think it's early 20th century or before.  I haven't seen any of Davidson's later glass (that I knew was there's), but I've handled a lot of other later glass. With the furnace going, the air is dryer in here, but I don't think it has that later tendency to attract water out of the surrounding air.

At any rate, it's headed to eBay tonight, even as much as I've grown to dislike eBay.

Thanks for the update on coding for this board.  I know that just about every board is a bit different, but with some weather induced sinus problems, I haven't felt much like checking those fine points.

Forrest

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ginfor

• Members
Slag shoe update
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:46:35 AM »
The shoe lasted just about 2 1/2 hours on eBay.  I had an opening bid set around $75 and a BIN of $150.  According to the buyer, it's Davidson, a spillholder.  Don't know what it might have gone to with a full auction, but I know what I paid and what bills I have waiting, so I'm a happy camper for the moment.  Now, if just a few more things would do this...........

Forrest

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand