No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass of the 80's  (Read 2614 times)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
Glass of the 80's
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:33:32 AM »
hello I am new and I am trying not to flood the board with questions, but I got married in 1983 and I was given a lot of glass.  I did recieve some Orrefors leaf platters.......That I can Identify as they have the stickers. But I have some bowls and platters that I can identify and I could kick myself for ever taking them out of the boxes. Is there a website that can take me back to the 80's for tableware scandanavian glass.  i am so over ebay and goggled with google

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Glass of the 80's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:27:42 AM »
The classic for tableware matching is Replacements; however, it can be daunting if you don't have a clue about the manufacturers. I see that you managed to add photos on your thread in glass - that's the first step! If you can add photos here, someone here might be able to at least steer you in the right direction.  :)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
oh gosh here goes
the first is a dish

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:40 AM »
It's probably best to open a new thread for each piece, as this saves confusion and makes the posts easier to search on later. Also, to get the best exposure, try to post in general Glass, as these pieces might not be Scandinavian. The one thing we do ask is not to start any more than about 3 threads on the front page at any one time, as it can really annoy the other members and is seen as hogging the board. :)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:23:55 AM »
no problems thanks.  I was actually looking for a thread and I thought pictures were wanted to get me to a thread but I can see where you are coming from and will leave it all pro term.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:32 PM »
thanks to the magic of ebay the top bowl is holmegaard

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »
Beware ebay. A fair number of "attributions" on there are just plain wishful thinking. Confirm it elsewhere. Was the ebay one labelled? It doesn't look typical of Holmegaard output IMHO.

The fact that no-one has commented (including our Holmegaard expert Nic) makes me wonder whether these pieces are from the better known Scandinavian factories or indeed Scandinavian. There are/were some Scandinavian smaller factories about which little is known outside the region.

If you got married in Australia your glassware could have come from almost anywhere in the world. The second one looks to have a Japanese influence.

Post them separately in the main glass thread; not everyone reads all the boards.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:47:46 AM »
thanks....the top one on ebay has the holmegaard sticker and then I remembered it. So much to learn. I am also asking for where the item is referenced before bidding.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »
You mean this one

The label looks oddly applied. I'm not 100% convinced. Labels can be pretty mobile too.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »
Your right but it is holmegaard.  I remember thinking why something Danish and then orrdors leaf shaped plates.  they must have been very 'in"in 1983 over here.  ther others arnt so important.  thanks for your help/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand