No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carboot: Whitefriars Duck & Holmegaard Cannister  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carboot: Whitefriars Duck & Holmegaard Cannister
« on: November 20, 2005, 12:38:03 PM »
Hurray for indoor carboots springing up all around Lincolnshire!

And for once I don't need attributions... (see how much I'm improving?!  :) ) ...I just need a few details, if possible!  :D

I bought a Whitefriars 5" duck in Arctic Blue for a piffly £3.50, and it's in near-mint condition, except the tip of the beak is slightly sharp - but there doesn't appear to be any obvious chip there, rather it looks like a small part where it wasn't ground down properly - is this common with this piece? It's my first piece of Whitefriars figurative glass, so I'm not overly familiar with them.

Secondly, I spotted a Holmegaard cannister for one new English pound... I've seen this attributed to Jacob E. Bang, and as being from around 1930 - can anyone verify this, and does anyone know the name of the design? (My camera has eaten all of my batteries, so I'll just link to one of the same on eBay for now!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7367581085&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The duckie will probably end up on eBay in a month or so, but the Holmegaard is staying forever... and ever... and ever...  :twisted:

Any help, as usual, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:42:51 PM »
Also... is the cannister in the eBay link hugely inflated in price, or is this really a rare piece? I'm favouring the former.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 01:10:05 PM »
It is not in the Danish Glass 1925-75 book and everything I see there is much heavier with applied feet - never mould blown with a fire polished edge. I associate that more with Italian machine-made in the 60ies. Maybe a good idea to ask the seller where he got his reference?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 02:01:54 PM »
Thanks - I'll give that a whirl.

I've seen this attributed to Holmegaard several times on eBay, although that could just mean that one seller's mistake ages ago has been perpetuated ever since...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:53:07 PM »
He has said that he knows the curator of the Holmegaard museum, and has also seen this model in old Holmegaard catalogues, reprints of which are apparently available from the museum - something I shall have to look into acquiring for myself!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
A photograph of today's odd couple.

The fellow selling the Holmegaard said he would try and find the pattern number for the cannister for me, and oddly enough recommended the Danish Glass book to me for examples of J.E. Bang's early work for Holmegaard - perhaps I'm just assuming that he meant similar examples...

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:20:17 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons. To the best of my knowledge the 2nd version of the ducks had a ground beak whilst the first had a polished one. Also the arctic blue is extremely desirable. Look on ebay!! You got a real bargain.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the info! Arctic Blue seems to be pretty under-represented on eBay, though. Just one at Buy It Now for £80. Ouch. Oh, and a larger one sold in Canada recently for around £50, if you take postage into account.

But they were both real bargains, and I'm surprised that they were still there because I'd overslept that morning. I usually arrive at the same time the sellers do to snap up any unsuspected valuables. But all of the dealers who haunt car boots must have overslept too!

With regards the Holmegaard cannister, the fellow selling the other one is very helpful and does know his onion when it comes to Bang-era pieces - so I believe him that it is genuinely Holmegaard - as well as hunting out some similarly made and definitively attributed pieces from the period for myself. Hurray.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand