No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID this lovely red and orange bubble vase  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Please help ID this lovely red and orange bubble vase
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
I've looked up 'Fazzoletto'...  but I have no idea what the vase has to do with a handkerchief...  or with glass "fazzoletto" vases   :huh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
Well, it´s just the usual blabla of using terms like great, dreamlike, massive, several layer
technique, high quality, mouth blown, hand formed, ground out pontil mark, collectable,
eye-catcher, one of a kind: ´Each art glass has her own design, shape and colour.´
The term fazzoletto or handkerchief-vase being completly inaccurate of course.  :spls:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
Thank you Dirk  :) ...  and here I was in my super-hero cape, thinking I had found an exact answer  :24:

Hee hee.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
One day you´ll get an answer - fingers crossed.  :fwr:

BTW - just noticed, that every description of this seller is exactly the same - including
measurements. He / she simply changes the picture, when making a new offer. :24:

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 08:40:22 PM »

BTW - just noticed, that every description of this seller is exactly the same - including
measurements. He / she simply changes the picture, when making a new offer. :24:

Oh, that, I'm sure, is just 'coincidence'   ;D

Thank you  :kissy:

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
Looking at the seller's items, they all appear to be new, which makes me wonder if they are being produced somewhere not too far from Poland and Austria: Bulgaria perhaps, Romania? Not Murano though, as some of them claim to be. The agatey ones are rather nice

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 04:19:38 AM »
Although it would be nice to find the vase's origin, I have a feeling it's department store glass from the 90s.  When I bought the vase, it wasn't in pristine condition -- it was dirty and looked like it had been used for a few years before falling into my hands...  But then again, even if it is department store glass, I still think it's a lovely example, especially when sunlight falls upon it.  In other words, I think I've got a piece of fabulous 'nothing' -- but that's OK!

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:45 AM »
Most of the glass we discuss on here started off as department store glass...sold and bought to be enjoyed and/or used, not to collect. The exceptions are really the one-off studio pieces and the limited editions. It's just that some of it has come to have more value than others. Some of it has collecting value but little financial worth, some of is just interesting and some of it has few merits beyond its original purpose. The pieces we tend to sneer at are often poorly made and designed or derivative but with few of the merits of the original.

Your vase is lovely and original; someone, somewhere is putting thought into it and similar vases. The problem is we don't know who, although I suspect from the vases of that ebay seller that range is still in production. It reminds me a little of the glass made in Azerbaijan http://www.reyesfinearts.com/documents/artglass/baijan/index.htm#126 (That thought has only just filtered out of the grey matter)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »
Most of the glass we discuss on here started off as department store glass...sold and bought to be enjoyed and/or used, not to collect.

Oh that I know and understand  :)  The general population, past and present, had to get their glass from somewhere...  What I meant to say by 'department store' glass was that a version of this vase can still, in all probability, be found in a department store somewhere ;D 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand