No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech? Raven glass? Another ID. Thanks to you all!  (Read 3054 times)

Offline twistergbs

• Members
Czech? Raven glass? Another ID. Thanks to you all!
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »
7 inches high, 1.25 kilos in amber with scalloped identations and a typical Sklo base. I have been told that this maybe Raven glass but I know nothing about this manafacturer. It reeks of Bohemian but I could be wrong!

Thanks to you all in anticipation!

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Czech? Raven glass? Another ID. Thanks to you all!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:13 PM »
It's definitely sklo, because that means glass. It might be Sklo Union but if it is you wouldn't usually describe it as Bohemian (that's generally reserved for much older glass).

Offline twistergbs

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Christine. I am aware that 'sklo' means glass. I was merely using the term as an abreviation for Sklo Union which I believed the vase to be. As for my reference to 'Bohemia' I understand that Bohemia has an area of 52,750 km² and today is home to 6.25 million of the Czech Republic's 10.3 million inhabitants. Therefore I would assume that any product, glass or otherwise, produced within this geographical border could be described as Bohemian. However none of this really helps in identifying the vase in question.
Once again thank you for your interest and taking the time to reply.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
Similar to a Brabec piece(Rosice glassworks)(1970's) with the 'lens' pattern,in Hi Sklo Lo Sklo,not an expert in sklo stuff but learning,hence only similar,
                                                                                                                                                           Keith.

Offline twistergbs

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
Keith...you're a genius and I'm a complete klutz! It's not only similar, it's identical, (page 73 Hi Sklo, Lo Sklo)...apart from the colour of course. Perhaps I ought to start actually reading the books that I buy! Anyway I'm quite chuffed as it only cost me £3!
Keith...thanks again and take care...Ooooh and happy collecting!
Geoff

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »
Hi Geoff,

Theres one on ebay at the moment ID: 120550462611

All the best Greg

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
Did we discus this vase yesterday Geoff (at Malvern)?

Yours is slightly different to the one for sale on fleabay, that is rectangular yours is more 'diamond shaped', same pattern I think. Very nice too.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
Geoff  -  good to see you are quoting 'Wikipedia' verbatim  -  pity you didn' look at the books as carefully.   Just for the record Christine is correct insofar as the use of the word Bohemia, used in the context of glass implies an historical attribution.    Glass made within the last 80 or 90 years is referred to usually as Czech or Czechoslovakian.    I think you are a little harsh on someone who didn't need to refer to Wikipedia for her reply.

Offline twistergbs

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »
Paul......well spotted re Wikipedia...I'm impressed! And perhaps I was a little harsh....apologies to all.

Best wishes

Geoff

Offline twistergbs

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »
John/Greg,

Well spotted re Ebay......... Feeling slightly emabarassed as I've been collecting Sklo UNION for a good few years! However Ebay isn't my favourite medium for buying glass and judging by the amount it's up for sale for, will remain the last resort for adding to my collection!!!!

Thanks guys!

Geoff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand