Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

some 'Stuart' back stamps.

(1/2) > >>

Paul S.:
hope people don't think this is too boring - another example of me trying this new method of magnifying some small things ;)   Pics. taken thru a single lens., and will relate to another post that I propose to send regarding a piece of Stuart 'apple green' Stratford pattern.     The first image is something I have shown previously, once, and is I believe possibly the earliest of their acid etched marks - and to the best of my knowledge (always a fatal thing to say) is not shown in print anywhere.
Unlike subsequent marks, it has an 's', and may in fact date prior to 1926.    The others are dated variously from about 1926 to 1950, although those with an elongated 'tail' on the 't' are probably the earliest within this period.     I am of course quoting from professional sources, and if I have mis-quoted or mis-interpreted any details I apologise, and please do correct me promptly.      To possibly help me with the next post, I wud be very interested if someone is able to confirm at what date Stuart dropped showing the Rd. Nos. as part of the back stamp, although with my luck it was probably phased out over a long period.   
References:   'British Glass Between The Wars'  -  Edited by Roger Dodsworth  -  Exhibition Catalogue for Broadfield House  -  first printing 1987.

nigel benson:
Hi Paul,

Just thought I'd add this info about the registration mark on the first photo, 682593. This was originally registered on the 2 May 1921 by Stuart & Sons. I think you are right, and it is not one that is generally illustrated, but I haven't checked my references as yet, so I might be able to add to that.

I'm a bit below par, so I'll try and pick this one up again later in the week.

Cheers, Nigel

Anne:
Paul, those pics are super!  :)

Bernard added some info about Stuart's design numbers to an earlier query of mine, I don't know if it's helpful to you but it's here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,518.0.html
My dishes have the same style lettering as your second image above.

Paul S.:
thanks Nigel -  look forward to any further information you might be able to add re these marks.

Anne  -  thanks for the link  -  what a knowledgeable answer you had from Bernard, to say the least :hiclp:   To which of Leslie Jackson's tomes was he referring when he mentioned the Webb patterns  -  was it the '20th Century Factory Glass'.    I have just received this book although not yet had a chance to open it, but am getting increasingly keen on Webb's output.     I was about to type a longwinded sentence about how your Reg. No. was earlier than that shown on my first pic.  -  but had a back stamp style the same as my second pic....................but then I got so confused I gave up ;D     Presumably, as with all Reg. Nos., the 'acid' ones were used for perhaps several years after the date of their initial registration, thus leading to much confusion as to exactly when a piece might have actually been made!   

KevinH:

--- Quote ---To which of Leslie Jackson's tomes was he referring when he mentioned the Webb patterns  -  was it the '20th Century Factory Glass'.
--- End quote ---
Yes ... specifically, page 226.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version