No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please Help ID this Case glass Rose Bowl/Vase  (Read 2902 times)

Offline RPruim

• Members
Please Help ID this Case glass Rose Bowl/Vase
« on: November 20, 2005, 05:42:58 PM »
Hi new to this board and was told if anyone can help it would be the wonderful people on this board. This vase is about 4 1/2" tall and about 5 1/2" across. Any ideas on the age or maker ?
Thank You so much Bob
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/378631/YTUYM-bluebowl.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/378631/VMTNE-bluebowl1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/378631/PHDEE-bluebowl3.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/378631/MWRUM-bluebowl2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/378631/caseglass.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »
Hi, RPruim, I'd be very interested to know what this is because I have one too.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20403.jpg

I was told by the seller that it was 1940's.

I've never seen a blue one before or a hand painted one.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 06:12:06 AM »
They would both be called a flower arranger in the US. Interesting reverse drapery pattern on the blue one. I have no idea of the age.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:09:02 AM »
Quote from: "RH.1"
They would both be called a flower arranger in the US. Interesting reverse drapery pattern on the blue one. I have no idea of the age.

That is what you get when you appropriate the name rose bowl for a globular vase with crimps - you find you have to invent a new word for rose bowl!
Wire topped rose bowls are usually associated with manufacturer Wilhelm Kralik in the 1920s and 30s and they are found in endless variety - though for some reason the ivory iridescent ones always turn up in the UK. I think it is about time somebody found out all about these - can't you start a collection or something?

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 04:00:31 PM »
Ahhhhh...... Rose bowls.

Wire topped rose bowls or those with glass frogs are the flower arranging variety and were once in fashion to be filled with small rose buds. As far as I know;  this was a European invention\fashion (English as far as I have seen) but my information is limited for lack of research and of course enough interest in this area. Also;  I have never seen any antique American made glass vases or rose bowls with these wire top flower frogs in the shops or in any of the glass books I own.

In the US the globular vase-like object with folded inward crimping was originally used for a different purpose, (room freshener\deodorizer), not as a posy vase to arrange flowers in, which if you try you will find nearly impossible to do very well.

Warning: This is not glamorous at all, so if you own a globular shaped rose bowl that you find to be charming etc., you may not want to read any further than here.

Besides being used in other parts of the house;  these rose bowls were a staple in ones (non plumbed) commode furnishings. Glycerin, rose adder or just plain water with rose petals and or hips were kept in these rose bowls, which would be given a good swirl after nature called, to help mask the odor of that. During the day one could go outside to the privy\out-house, but in the middle of the night, (mainly in winter months) the old slop-bucket\chamber pot that was kept in a small stand called a commode (or kept under one's bed) was used rather than having to get up, get dressed and tramp through the snow and cold outside.

The design\shape works like a brandy snifter to concentrate the aroma of the contents and when swirled releases the concentrated aroma. Unlike snifters which are stemmed and rimmed for drinking purposes;  the flat bases on rose bowls kept them from being easily overturned and spilled when they were used in the dark of night and the folded in crimped rims kept the contents from splashing out when they were swirled.

Roses were the most common, highly scented flowers available at that time, which is why these glass objects came to be known as rose bowls. After modern plumbing came about and was installed in most homes these globular vase-like objects continued to be made as mere decorative items, just like other items of yore (cuspidors and chamber pots) to name a few.

This information does not come from any book on the subject, but from real people of age, who actually used these items at one point in their lives, so I admit it is basically still hearsay, but told to me a good number of times, by people who didn't know one another and had no ulterior motive to tell it to me. At best someone might find it interesting, which is my reason for sharing it.

Back in the 1960s & 70s I was involved in buying, refinishing and selling small Victorian furniture items, to make extra money for school. I made most of my purchases in rural areas and small towns, from folks who were way up there in their years and besides being happy to rid themselves of items they saw as junk, were all to willing to tell me the history of the items I was purchasing from them. For some odd reason (in the 60s-70s) those small commode stands were very popular and highly sought after. Back then I purchased many of them, which were sold to me along with their contents\furnishings and a rose bowl or two was always included among these items.

At one point I think I had over a hundred of them in many different colors and styles and when I finally became more interested in glass and less interested in furniture;   I managed to sell the majority of them and buy glass items that I liked better. I did keep four of each size, in the plainer, more common pink, blue and yellow cased glass versions,

http://tinypic.com/fxusdc.jpg

to use for display purposes, but those have been packed away for a good while now and I almost never involve myself in selling anymore, so packed away is where they will be staying for now.

As for the wire topped variety in this thread;  I am not at all sure of the age. The  ivory and other iridescent versions seem to match the rest of the Bohemian iridescent glass of the early 1900s period. I have read and have been told a number of times that there was a revival of sorts in the late 1930s, into the 1940s,  when a good deal of Bohemian\Czech glass, in old Victorian styles (cased etc.) was being imported into the US, but I am not sure if any iridescent glass was included in that run, since it had pretty much lost it's popularity by that time and only came back into fashion (in a small way) in the 1950s,  being made by utilitarian items glass companies, not known for fine, high end quality goods, who were selling it under the old Carnival Glass name.

I know that doesn't help much, but I wanted to add something to my post that was on topic.

Mike

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:56:28 PM »
Mike, thank you for such an interesting post. I had never heard of these bowls being used in this way. Chamber pots and bordelou I do know of, but they are mainly pottery/china, not glass, at least as far as I have seen them.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 07:26:46 PM »
Anne,

I only mentioned the chamber pots and cuspidors, because they are also "non-glamorous in their original use" items, which are still being made today and sold as cutesy, nostalgic, decorative items.

I have never seen a glass chamber pot, but I have seen glass, metal and china-ware cuspidors.

Thanks for the new name "bordelou" to add to my collection of names for that particular item. You never know when you are going to learn something interesting and new, that has nothing to do with glass on a message board geared toward glass :idea:  :lol:  

Mike

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:43:06 PM »
Quote from: "butchiedog"
I have never seen a glass chamber pot

I bought my mother an absolutely beautiful art glass glass bowl  :shock:

She used it as a chamber pot  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

My fault, I suppose for buying her something I liked, rather than something she needed!  :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 11:56:45 PM »
Quote from: "butchiedog"
Anne,

Thanks for the new name "bordelou" to add to my collection of names for that particular item. You never know when you are going to learn something interesting and new, that has nothing to do with glass on a message board geared toward glass :idea:  :lol:  

Mike

Mike, I have also seen these items referred to as pisoire - I have one which looks like a double ended gravy boat fixed on a stand - that is a female version I'm told.  :roll:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand