No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identify please:)  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Daniel S

• Members
Re: Help identify please:)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
HI

I can confirm that these are NOT designed by EH.

Daniel

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
I also do not think that these are Hoglund pieces, but in the style of.  I have seen glass by other Swedish and Norwegian manufacturers that bears a strong resemblance to E.H. The Viking to my mind is too cartoon-like.  Hoglunds has a more "naive" or primitive style.

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
These small ashtrays are Norwegian, designed by Richard Duborgh (1932-2007), and made by the arts and crafts commune PLUS in the 1960’s and 70’s. They were meant to accompany each place setting at the dinner table, in an era when most people smoked. They were also popular gifts, and corporations, town councils and others often ordered these ashtrays with their own logos imprinted on them, which explains the wide variety of images to be found.

Designer Richard Duborgh’s original craft was pottery, but he designed some nice if uncomplicated glass while at PLUS. He was in charge of glass design and production there from 1960 until 1970, when Benny Motzfeldt took over. Duborgh returned to pottery, setting up his own workshop.

PLUS was situated in the town of Fredrikstad, in southeastern Norway. It started in 1957 and was active for exactly 20 years. They made glass, pottery, furniture, textiles and other objects created by some of Norway’s leading designers. The idea was to refine public taste through offering good, modern design at affordable prices. In the 1960’s and early 1970’s PLUS was a huge success. But as the 1970’s became increasingly politicized, PLUS gradually broke up, as the artists associated with the movement engaged in the heated debate over whether their skills should be used to create political art, or merely fill bougouise homes with pleasant objects. By 1978, PLUS disintegrated totally, and officially came to an end. 1500 choice and/or representative objects (glass, textiles, pottery etc.) were donated to Fredrikstad Museum.

In their time, PLUS was an influential movement in Norway, producing some very good arts and crafts objects, improving people's tastes and homes, and it was a very good school for up-and-coming artists and designers. After its demise, PLUS was long forgotten, but recently, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of its birth (and the 30th anniversary of its death), there was a large exhibition here in Norway, with an accompanying book published.

Yes, Swedish glass artist Erik Höglund made similar but somewhat larger ashtrays, and I can see why the confusion arises. But the ashtrays in question are definitely from PLUS in Norway. They pop up at every flea market here, and even if they’re truly inexpensive, I’ve stopped buying them. Who has twenty smokers at the table these days?

Best wishes
mbmb

Offline chrisffc

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 03:09:43 PM »
That is fantastic info!! Thank you so much. I think there pretty cool and they sit nicely on the side. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »
Mbmb, thank you so much for your time and effort in posting the information about Plus and Richard Duborgh. This really is very helpful, thankyou! :hiclp:

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 06:21:10 AM »
GREAT information, thank you so much!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum