No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Blue Jugs... Riihimaen... Zwiesel...?  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Two Blue Jugs... Riihimaen... Zwiesel...?
« on: December 11, 2005, 03:01:40 PM »
Today's been a blue day for me... as I bought 4 blue pieces - thankfully I know what two of them are (Holmegaard) - but these two I don't know:

The jug on the left, I've no clue, but the jug on the right seems to be attributed by many internet folk as from Nanny Still's Harlekiini range. I always thought Harlekiini was stemmed? Not that I'm an expert...  :)

This fellow says otherwise, and links to others who seem to think the same... HERE

Both jugs were bought from the same person, they are very nearly the same colour, have the same quality of finish and the same bases (inverted pontil, polished), so IF one is Riihimaen, could they both be?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 04:18:58 PM »
Nic,
Your jug on the left looks incredibly like a Zwiesel jug that I have, qua size and shape, colour etc., only without the silver bubbles.
But I could be a million miles off track :!:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »
Oh, I forgot about sizes - the smaller jug is a touch below 9" and the suspect Riihimaen is just under 16" at its tallest point.  :)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:53:02 PM »
Mine is 6.5" tall, but does have an inverted polished pontil. Tried to take a photo, but the light is all wrong. If no better suggestions or ideas come up, I will post a picture tomorrow.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:58:48 PM »
I had a potter around t'internet, but couldn't find any similar Zweisel. But could be worth investigating further. Will see if any other folks chip in first.

Thanks. :)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 01:37:26 PM »
Sorry Nic,
It was throwing it down yesterday.
Here is a photo of mine as promised.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/zwiesel.jpg
and one of the base.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/zwieselb.jpg

I would put a picture directly onto this page, but I don't know how to. :cry:  :cry:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »
Oops, sorry, I didn't directly mean you, Della, I was just throwing it open in cased anyone had missed the thread!  :oops: I wasn't being rude!  :)

But I do see what you mean about them being similar - well, almost exactly the same!  :) I think it's (probably) safe to pin mine down as by Zweisel too! Thanks.

Oh, and you make photos load directly on the page by putting your photograph's url inbetween the following codes (remove the spaces, though!:

[IMG ] [/ IMG]

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 03:33:48 PM »
Nic,
I didn't think for one minute that you were being rude or that you were referring to me personally. No apology necessary at all. :wink:  :lol: Thanks for the tip btw.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 10:10:29 PM »
Ah well, the possibly-Riihimaen pitcher the other fellow was selling finally finished on eBay at £75 - with waterstaining! It got a few Finnish bids too, so I suspect it's likely the jug was by Riihimaen, I'm just still a bit suspect about its Harlekiini attribution. The colour/style doesn't quite match. But what do I know?

Still, mine's in shiny-mint condition and cost me nothing near £75. Hurray.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand