No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian help please  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Scandinavian help please
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:57:06 AM »
I saw-and di not buy-a very heavy vase about 6" of rectangular shape. It was cased in clear and had a textured pattern running down the front in waves. Base was engraved JC or JG and a number. On ebay there is a piece of cased glass like Holmegaard white cased in orange and the seller says it has a label JC Sweden. Any ideas please, I can't seem to track it down.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:05:45 AM »
funnily enough, I had my eyes on that vase the other day and was having the same problem of identifying it.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:06:03 AM »
Johansfors Glasbruk - like this one
http://tinypic.com/fxt11c.jpg

Offline Pat

• Members
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:20:29 AM »
Thank you so much! Another bargain I let slip through my hands duh!
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Leni

• Members
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »
I also saw a piece like this, but shaped a bit like a taller and thinner version of a WF 'banjo' vase, yesterday at an antique centre.  It, too, had the initials JG and a number engraved on the bottom.  

I was very tempted to buy it, however I think it had some damage.  It was discoloured inside, and it was not possible to see if this was just dirt, scale or real water-damage.  Also, it had all four corners of the base angled, as if they had been ground down to disguise a chip on one or more.  At least, that was what it looked like to me  :? Does anyone know if this shape of vase would have had angled corners, or were my suspicions correct?  

I really did like it, and nearly bought it anyway, but that water staining ....  :x :( It really ruined the wonderful clarity of the glass and the sparkling effect of the pattern and I didn't want to risk disappointment if it didn't come out.  Why do people have to put water in beautiful vases?  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Any idea what a perfect one might be worth?  It might help me to decide whether to go back and see if I can haggle the price down   :wink:
Leni

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 02:55:40 PM »
My advice: control yourself, these vases are not rare and sooner or later you'll run into an undamaged piece. Very hard to figure out what the value of these is @ the moment, but 1. they're recognisable 2. they're signed 3. they're decorative and so I predict that Johansfors will be the new Whitefriar's  8)

Offline Leni

• Members
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 03:30:04 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
My advice: control yourself

Why didn't I 'meet' you earlier in my life, Ivo? :lol:  :roll:
sooner or later you'll run into an undamaged piece.

It's the 'or later' that gets me every time!  :shock:  No patience, you see  :oops:
" I want the world, and I want it NOW!"   :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 03:48:19 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
I predict that Johansfors will be the new Whitefriar's  8)

Darn, I was hoping it would be Caithness! Nothing to do with the fact I've got lots of it... honest! :lol:

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 04:05:47 PM »
Yeah...... I have a piece of Johansfors, kindly indentified for me by Ivo.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
http://tinypic.com/fxv5ah.jpg[/quote]
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Scandinavian help please
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 06:33:20 PM »
There's a nice piece of Johansfors going unidentified...

HERE

I saw the signature and remembered this link.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand