No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finnish vases for id please.  (Read 3301 times)

Offline px

• Members
Re: Finnish vases for id please.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »
I am not going to tell you if I like olives or not.   ::)
But before, Paul, you will start studying Finnish :) I could tell you some backround of your vase - REIMARI is a sea mark. The Finnish archipelago is filled with hazards, a lot of rocks also under water. The old style west-mark (länsiviitta) had two cone shaped baskets with their tips against eachother http://www.saimaalle.com/kuvat/merimerkit.jpg (nowadays they often come without the baskets, you see the difference only from how the paint is in the stick)

Finally of Reimari colours (just to be sure not to get banned...) I do not know which colours are rarest but in the reprint of Riihimäen 1974 pricelist there are only olive and amber mentioned.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
px  -  'an archipelago filled with hazzards' sounds like we're back with Jason and the 'clashing rocks' ;D  -  mind you, I wud'nt mind meeting a 'siren' or two at the moment ;)    Thanks for the very interesting link, and if I understand correctly you are saying that Aladin designed this particular vase with the shape of this 'REIMARI' sea warning mark in mind.   When you talk of an 'olive' colour you do of course mean the pale geenish/tan coloured sort (not the black Kalamata kind).   I prefer the darker colours, so I like the deep smoky blue of my one, and the reference to less common sorts was because like all collectors I salivate and dribble when there is the chance of having something rare as opposed to common......the mouth goes dry, the palms sweat etc. etc.      However, I think we have exhausted this one now, so my thanks to all for the interest and help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
 :pb:
The clashing rocks are "Scilla" - Sirens lure sailors to their deaths by singing......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »
o.k. - I get the point ;D ;D  -  and whilst on the subject of being 'got at'  -  it has been pointed out to me by a GMB member that I should cease using some contracted forms of words  -  as this may possibly confuse those member for whom English is not their first language.     I am referring in particular to 'shud' and 'wud'  -  so my apologies to all those people that I have confused, and will avoid in future. :-[

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »
 :-*
Wasn't "getting" at you, really - I was just being a smart a*se,  :-[ and this was something that quite unrelatedly, in a different place, that cropped up this-morning...

(but I really appreciate your committment to giving up text-style-typing. English speakers who do not use mobile 'phones or texting find it difficult and irritating!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
thanks Sue, no offence taken  -  and just for the record, although I possess a mobile, I don't actually use it.............and as for texting, well I genuinely wouldn't know how! :)  -  I'm too old you see - but it's just that outside of glass I'm also a smart a*se ;D ;D     Let us now desist from this one..........   cheers                Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand