No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Several paperweights need help identifying  (Read 1766 times)

Offline d8withf8

• Members
Several paperweights need help identifying
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:34:36 AM »
I apologize for being almost 100% clueless about paperweights.  I did several searches on the boards but couldn't find anything that looked like mine.  More apologies if these have already been identified elsewhere.  :)

These might all be completely worthless; not a single one is marked that I can tell.  There are 4 paperweights.  The multi-colored one and the yellow & blue one are relatively small - slightly larger than a very large egg.  The blue "fish" one is about the size of a baseball.  The largest is the crane one, which is roughly the size of a large orange, I guess; it is somewhat egg-shaped.  The links below are clickable to allow viewing of a larger image.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Crane paperweight - two side views:
      and a top view:   

"fish" paperweight - side view:   and top view: 

yellow & blue:

mutli-colored:     top view: 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Several paperweights need help identifying
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Welcome to the board. The fish and the crane are modern Chinese. The other two are probably Chinese, although they might be Indian or from elsewhere in Asia. I think all are of little value, more in the buy them if you like them category. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Generally for paperweights we like to see bottoms as well. It's also best to attach the photos, see here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html That way, when you move your pictures, we still have the pictures accessible for future reference. It's very frustrating to find just the thread you want and then find the most important part, the pictures, are missing so you only have half an answer.

(One small point, solid paperweights, even ones with bubbles in, aren't blown. Handmade yes, but not hand blown. That requires them to be hollow. Think bubble gum.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »

I think the lower two weights are indeed Indian.  They are sometimes referred to as '3 flower spatter pattern' weights (they usually have three rudimentary flower shapes in multicoloured frit), and I have seen several over the years with 'Made in India' labels. I even saw a couple of them in Nepal being used as paperweights in an office!

I agree on value - negligible.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline d8withf8

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Thank you both for your input.  I didn't figure they were valuable but wanted to be certain before I sold them for $10 LOL

I wondered how it could be hand blown, but that's what I saw when digging around on eBay and foolishly figured that hundreds of auctions knew what they were talking about :)

The reason I did not include pictures of the bottoms is because they have absolutely nothing on them.  Only 1 even retains the felt.  But I'll take bottom photos and read the topic on posting.  I did actually go to my account area to see if I had a "photo stashing" spot of my own for the gallery, but when I didn't see that, I just uploaded to photobucket.  Thanks for that link.

Appreciate your time and input.  Thanks again!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
It's not always what's on the bottoms that's important. It's the state of the bottom; is it ground and shiny; is it ground and matte; does it have a rough bit, etc. These are clues in combination with other aspects.

hundreds of auctions knew what they were talking about
  :24: :24: :24:
Some do, many more do not when it comes to glass. If all the Muranese glassworkers had made all the pieces they are supposed to have made, they'd have become extinct through sheer exhaustion many years ago.

Offline d8withf8

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
OK, I give up.  I resized all the pictures to the size they said I had to have.  I only attached 4 at a time.  And I got an error message saying my attachment was too big. So I resized them even smaller than they had to be.  Three more error messages. I am not a technological idiot, so I have no idea what the problem could be, but after wasting an hour now, I think I better go be productive & try again some other time!  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
If you make the longest dimension 700 pixels, that usually works

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »
Hi d8withf8,

Welcome to the Board.

Pics in posts:
The error re "too large" refers to the kilobyte size and suggests that even though you may have resized the photos for pixel width & height, they are still greater than 125Kb, which is the limit for each pic as an addition to the post. Optimising an image, rather than just resizing, should work. (Although some images with a max pixel size of 700 will automatically be less than 125Kb, that will not always be the case as it depends on the original size and quality setting.)

Pics in GlassGallery:
This is not a person-specific photo storage system within the Message Board (like Photobucket). It is a physically  separate site but used for the purposes of this Board. You will need to Register to GlassGallery. Then you can use the general "Glass Queries" folder or set up a personal one under "GMB user galleries".
KevinH

Offline d8withf8

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »
I'm sorry; when I said I resized, that's what I meant.  I made them each about 120kb.  And I posted 4.  But it said it was over 500kb.  I made a couple reductions after that; finally each picture was about 70kb, but it still wouldn't work, so I don't know what the deal was.

Also, I just uploaded per the link above using the attachment option.  I didn't register w/glass gallery; I was just trying to get it so, as was posted earlier, the pictures would still be there for future reference.  I'll try to get to uploading them later.  I just couldn't keep fooling w/it today.

If nothing else, I'll have this in mind for next time I post something.  Thanks again, everyone.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:41:09 AM »
I downloaded one of your pix from Photobucket; it was about 190kb and resizing it to my suggested size worked fine.

If you have tried to upload and got a size error, you just can't hit the back button and try again. You have to start again. The trick is to hit the back button copy what you wrote and then start again.

I'll do the rest later if you like

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand