No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: czech panel cut item  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
czech panel cut item
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:46:10 AM »

One of the most difficult ones to photograph ever. The vase per se is OK - it is 10-panel cut in a citrine coloured crystal. However, the underside is ground out circular, and a gold mirror cut to size is inserted. The inside of the mirror has a tiny enamel decoration, which is only visible if you look into the vase. With the gold and reflections in the ten panels, the item excaped photography - until we got the 7 mergapixel Ixus. So, I can now ask these questions: am I right in assuming it is Czech; can the period be established by hand of the costume? Is it Moser? And what is the guy doing with a blood stained handkerchief?

Mod: The images from this thread have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
czech panel cut item
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:09:05 AM »
The Butler did it.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
czech panel cut item
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:10:39 PM »
Great Photos Ivo - Congrats on the camera.
But please keep pics small enough not to force a slider bar if you can.
I recommend Picassa2 for editing - easiest and quickest I've found.

Nice vase - great color.
I vote Czech but not nec Moser.
The character has a very Mittel-Europa look and the off beat humor that seems to be infered seems in keeping with the Czechs.

I havn't a clue about the bothery hanky if that's what it is.
I'm wondering if it's some kind of satirical political comment "hidden" as it is.
Pete

Sklounion

czech panel cut item
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 06:08:44 AM »
Hi Ivo,

A very nice image and an fine piece of glass.

Origin, probably Bohemia, but Moser???, not necessarily..... mid/late 19th century, and possibly earlier.

Political content, probably related to any of the nationalist groups in Austro Hungarian Empire, and I'm thinking Hungarian or Czech, (the Czech's and their language were severely suppressed during the 19th century) and definitely an anti-Austro-Hungarian/Hapsburg sentiment. Whether the gentleman with the bothery nose is an Hapsburg, or one of their ministers I cannot say for sure, but Metternich and the 1848 Revolution comes to mind.

I'll go through Sayer and Demetz respectively and see if I can come up with other likely contenders.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
czech panel cut item
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:13:32 AM »
Thank you Marcus you've made my day  :)

Sklounion

czech panel cut item
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 05:06:21 PM »
It was remiss of me not to congratulate Peter on a good assessment of this piece.

Ivo, you may find Adolf Hoffmeister's "100 years of Caricature" published by Orbis. Prague around 1955, may have a complete answer, to the image. Not sure if it was issued in any language other than Czech.

An observation on the handkerchief, and the symbolism of the colours.
Red and white came to be associated with separatist groups, and Sokol, a Czech physical education group, with strong nationalistic leanings used a white falcon on a red background as their emblem. Within Sokol was a grouping The New Czechs, which included Prince Rudolf of Thurn and Taxis, and I believe Tyrs, and Fruegner, founder and funder respectively of Sokol. Other significant though somewhat later, political members were TG Masaryk and Eduard Benes.

There might also be Moravian significance as the Moravian eagle is a chequered Red and White.

regards,

Marcus

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
czech panel cut item
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 11:27:15 PM »
And there was me thinking he was holding a nice bunch of flowers, wrapped in paper...... Oh well, wishful thinking maybe?  :lol:  :lol:  :?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand