No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Needing some Help  (Read 733 times)

Offline Zookeeper

• Members
Needing some Help
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Hi All
I'm new to this site and was told about by a lady who is trying to help me find some information. My step mother passed away in Dec and left these beautiful glasses but I don't know anything about them. There is no marks or anything on them. They are blue with gold on the top and around the bottom rim. They also have flowers on the sides that look like they are molded on not painted. If anyone knows anything about these glasses I would love to hear it. I have attached some pictures of them. I look forward to hearing from someone about these

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Needing some Help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:09:48 AM »
Bohemian raised enamel and gilding, probably made in the seventies or eighties - but perhaps later.  There were many producers of decoration in this style, so a single manufacturer is hard to pinpoint.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Zookeeper

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »
So then can a person use these glasses for special occasions or are they worth anything  and should  sit in the china cabinet? 

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »
that is your choice entirely. Personally I do not think decoration does anything for contents, and in my perception there is no substitute for clear drinking glass because if your guests run dry, how can you tell? There is no great monetary value in these glasses, they're not priceless antiques.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:16 AM »
Yes Ivos spot on holiday souvenirs from the not too distant passed  good old days,  not worth a fortune and kept in china cabinets, but all a part of glass history . :thup: jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand