No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Portieux Jade Green Vanity Set  (Read 11464 times)

Connie

Portieux Jade Green Vanity Set
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »
I bought this set the other day.  It is both impressed marked Portieux on 1 piece and another has a PV France label.  Does any know the pattern name and approximate date made? I get conflicting info on the use of the impressed mark and label on the internet  :?  Also what is the correct name for the color - it is a translucent dark jade green, very lovely.

Mod: The pictures that belonged to this post have vanished. We may be able to recover these images at a later date.

The GMB does not recommend using Tinypics, as that website deletes pictures from their server quickly. Please see here for instructions on adding pictures to your posts.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:34:38 PM »
Hi Connie!
what a beautiful set!!!
I traced it: Portieux catalogue 1933 (may be older - this was my first try)
on 'planche 145' (page 145)
Garniture de Toilette SUÉDOISE (Trinket set 'Swedish')
the colour is 'vert de pommes' - apple green

Portieux and Vallérysthal operated a lot together, that is why you read PV on one of the items - IMHO this single piece was not for sale but a sample without commercial value at that time  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfngt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben sprt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfllt, und ein offeneres Verstndnis fr die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:00:25 PM »
Thank you, Pamela.

I am still confused about the label. You say
Portieux and Vallérysthal operated a lot together, that is why you read PV on one of the items - IMHO this single piece was not for sale but a sample without commercial value at that time

By single item - Do you mean just the piece with the paper label (it is the tall jar) or do you mean the whole set?

Here is an article I found on the internet which really has me confused.

Article on Portiuex Hen on Nest - Pdf file
 This quote is on page 8.
MARKS:
Items may be marked or not marked. Items may or may not have a sticker or label.
If a piece is signed Vallerysthal, it was made at the factory anytime up until 1942. If
the piece is signed Portieux it could be old or it could be new as pieces with that mark are
still being produced (1986 sic). The P.V. sticker has been used since after the Second World
War. [ON Apr:86:XXX] Pinkston1 says that the “PV” sticker was used on export items from
about 1890 until 1970. It is reported that Mitteldorfer Straus, Inc., of New York imported
items from France in the 1950s.2 Supposedly, the “PV” stands for “Peasant Village,” a name
that this wholesaler still uses on many imported items.4

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 09:07:19 PM »
Connie, what a find on that PV label!
I did not know anything about this - I only presumed P+V also regarding the poor quality of the sticker
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfngt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben sprt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfllt, und ein offeneres Verstndnis fr die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »
I guess your set is a collection of items of same pattern over the years and by incident also a PV item and a PORTIEUX marked item were added

Portieux also offered the water bottle and some more items
Pamela

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 09:43:12 PM »
Supposedly, the “PV” stands for “Peasant Village,” a name

Oh please.....  PV=????

Portieux Verrerie, just how complex do things need to get?
Being really creative, and no offense intended, we could just as easily say "PV" = pomme vert.

regards,

Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 10:15:40 PM »
lots of mystification there.
Portieux and Valérysthal were marketed together since the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 when Portieux was on the French side and Valérysthal on the Prussian side of the border.
In pressed items you will usually find either name, or none at all. On Portieux table glass you may find - in France - a PVP label. The PV (Portieux Valérysthal) label was used by both companies for exported items.

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »
Supposedly, the “PV” stands for “Peasant Village,” a name

Ok Ivo,

so PV is even more obvious..... :lol:

A general observation: study glass, then you will have a slight understanding of how myths are born :lol:  :lol:

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 08:50:12 AM »
You want myths?

How about the N mark on Carnival Glass that for some time was explained as being from Nancy Glass? (It is the Northwood mark).

Or the straw mark / shear mark myth that it is caused by a piece of straw being stuck to the hot glass as it cooled. (It is actually caused by the cold shears cutting the hot glass gob).

Or the myth that Carnival Glass was only distributed by being given away at carnivals and circuses (yes circuses).

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Connie

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 11:09:50 AM »
I thought the PV = Peasant Village = a bunch of hooey  :lol:

Ivo - If you have not read the entire pdf file article, you are quoted in it.

One reason I bought the set (besides absolutely loving it) was for the marks.

I thought the PV stood for Portieux Valerysthal also. But then I had my doubts because of previous discussions on the board about the PV molded mark found on milk glass.

Do you think that this set is from the 1930s as Pamela's information suggests?  The jade green or appple green color would fit with that time period.  Or was this suite made for a long time and therefore an exact age cannot be determined?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand