No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Portieux Jade Green Vanity Set  (Read 11466 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Portieux Jade Green Vanity Set
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 11:15:14 AM »
The author of the pdf article in question is one of our members. She's a thorough researcher (and a delightful lady) and I am sure would be interested in helping here.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 02:04:48 PM »
Great Glen! I don't think anyone is questioning her article but the source that she quoted.  If she has more info on the use of the PV label I would love to know. I am also interested in the NY import angle. In RL I work  in the import industry and it  never ceases to amaze me  the volume and variety of items imported through NYC.

Since I don't know her user name could you please invite her to this thread.

Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 03:16:36 PM »
Hi Connie - yes, that's what I thought would be a good idea - I'm sure she'd love to help. She's a wonderful researcher and (fingers crossed) I hope she'll get back to me ASAP.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:55:06 PM »
I am following this thread with great interest as I have some Portieux vanity items too where some have the PV label.

Connie, your set has me drooooooling big time :P

Offline SAS

• Author
  • Members
PV label...
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »
Dear Readers,
As a collector/researcher of ONLY glass hen on nest covered dishes, I really don't know much about other glass items....only what I pick up in passing and what will help me in attributing glass hen dishes. The researching of glass is complicated by our having so few primary source materials and by the imaginative speculation of many that is passed on like the game one played in school where the teacher whispered something to a child and that child whispered it to her/his neighbor and it was passed down the line until the last child said aloud what he was told. The last child's telling was seldom even close to what the teacher originally said! But, each child was positive that they heard and repeated the teacher's message exactly.
Alas...I get much too philosophical here! You want to know what the PV label means. I haven't a clue other than what I have found in print and from other researchers. I do know that PV has not been seen mould-marked into an item. I do know that the PV label appears on ceramic (porcelain?) items also. I know that the PV label has been seen on items that are also marked "made in England," "Made in Italy," and "Made in Czechosovakia."
A seller on eBay said that Godden's Encyclopedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks shows the mark as standing for "Pleasant Village." The PV mark has also been seen with "Porcelaine Limoges France" surrounding it. In the September 1979 issue of Glass Review, p.8, Steve Jennings shows a picture of a 1950s ad from Mitteldorfer Straus of 38 imported from France items. Steve says, "To the best of my knowledge, this is the same company that featured items with a sticker marked 'P.V. France,' which I take to mean the 'The Peasant Village.'"
I personally believe that it was used by an importer/exporter much the same as Shannon Crystal is used today for items made in the Czech Republic. I am sure that you are aware of other such uses of labels.
While we are puzzling over the PV label, let us consider the SV mark also. I have been told that more information about that mark, which may be a label or mould-marked into the item, is coming out next year in the form of a book. I do not know who is doing the writing/research or what the information will be. Let's hope it is definitive and well-documented.
The following Web site may be helpful to those of you who are not familiar with it: http://toto44.chez-alice.fr/ It is in French, but if you right-click somewhere in the page, you have the option of having it translated (and I use that term very loosely!)
Siegmar Geiselberger also has a very interesting article that includes variations of the PV label in his PK 2005-2 ("Zur Produktion von Pressglasern aus Opalin-Glas in den Glaswerken Vallerythal & Portieux von 1915 bis 2005 Fur die Sammler ein Traum oder ein Albtraum?")
Gerard Triboulot's Web site (in French) may also be helpful: http://www.la-verrerie-de-portieux.com/
Dear Me! I do rattle on! Sorry if I have repeated information that has gone round before.
Shirley in Charleston, WV
http://www.HenOnNest.com
(please note new Web site. The old Gransplace Web site will be taken down at the end of the year)

Connie

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 08:43:34 PM »
Thank you for the information and links, Shirley.

I found this page on the first link you provided

http://toto44.chez-alice.fr/opale/index.htm

It has part of my vanity set and if I understand the French, the picture dates from a 1914 catalogue.

What is interesting is that I had 2 other pieces on that page - the elephant and the HON which I sold earlier this year.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 08:57:18 PM »
While we are puzzling over the PV label, let us consider the SV mark also. I have been told that more information about that mark, which may be a label or mould-marked into the item, is coming out next year in the form of a book. I do not know who is doing the writing/research or what the information will be. Let's hope it is definitive and well-documented

Shirley thank you so much for this contribution! It lets read and prosecute a lot  8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 08:59:25 PM »
ohh sorry - i wanted to have Shirley's post QUOTED . did not work - sorry again!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand