No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fratelli Toso Bird Tail -- okay or repaired?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Fratelli Toso Bird Tail -- okay or repaired?
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
I have a puzzling Fratelli Toso bird. Most FT birds I see have tails that end in a rounded point. This one looks like it was snipped, then smoothed. I thought I would get some other opinions. Are these type birds made by pulling the tail, snipping, and smoothing? or has the tail been broken and smoothed to camouflage damage? This is the first bird like this one that I've had in hand. (This isn't a test. I'm just looking for others' opinions.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: Fratelli Toso Bird Tail -- okay or repaired?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »
Hi, Anita.  My first thought .... broken tail.  I would think the tail would be similar to the wing tips.  Flat seems to interrupt the flow of the glass.  (Does that make any sense?)  Would you post another photo or two showing different angles.

Lily :)

Offline glasslover

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
I agree, a couple of different views would be helpful to assess proportion, etc. Probably a dumb question, but it's not an open tube, is it, as in the Cenedese bird vases?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
No problem to post a couple of extra pictures. The pictures from the front and back are the only ones that show the angle of the tail. From the side, it looks pointed and round like the wings. You had the same thoughts as I did, Lily. The seller had another bird with a tail even more blunt, so I believe she sold in good faith. My thoughts were that both of them may have had a broken, smoothed tail. The one I didn't buy had a broken bill in addition to the blunt tail.

There is a chance that these type birds were pullled and snipped blunt. I don't know why it would be done that way, but I know some animals have snipped tails, e.g. Gambaro & Poggi horses and some Barovier 1930s pieces. The bird didn't cost much, so I'm not so worried about that -- it had a nice place in the zoo. I just don't know if my instincts that it is repaired are correct.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 04:01:58 AM »
The proportions actually look good. It is possible it could be pulled and snipped. I am assuming this is a more modern piece tx? 70's to 80's plus? I am not familiar with animals though...

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »
Even though the proportions do look correct, the tail still looks incomplete.  If it is indeed broken, then it seems to be only a very small piece.  It's a nice bird.  I especially like how each bubble has its own 'nest' to sit in.  Is there a term to describe this effect?

Lily :)

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
Anita I saw a bird recently with the same "open" end to the tail.
really sorrry I can't tell you any more details,

Hopefully when i get back to the land of the living I can be more helpfull.

That is a stunning piece of work, I could look at that bird all day

martin
martin

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:05:22 AM »
Thanks, everyone. It is a beautiful bird. FT did such a good job on their bullicante pieces. I had a basket like this one time. I still cry when I remember it went for $9 on eBay. I've wondered how the artisans were able to work the pigment around the bubbles.

I've had a couple of animals with blunt tails. I've not been sure if they were made that way or damaged. I've seen videos where the glassmaker pulls the tail, then snips. I guess the end depends on where the cut was made. It would be nice to find an undamaged mate for this bird so I could see another tail end. Besides that, it's nice to have a pair when possible. (I worry about a single one getting lonely.  :'( I must be getting a bit birdy in the head.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »
Hi Anita i am sure over the many years i have been collecting i have seen several different birds with a tail exactly like yours , sorry not your tail your birds tail .  ;D :angel: :thup: jp

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 05:33:59 PM »
Two typical Murano Phesants come to mind . :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand