No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: reqest for pattern/No. for wfrs. bowl.  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
reqest for pattern/No. for wfrs. bowl.
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »
rather a coincidence after last Sunday's 'Cloudy Grey' - but genuinely unintentional  -  just happened to see this, and knew what it was (or nearly).  Third pic. shows the clear casing of the base, and the last pic. shows the side profile which has a thickening or waisted feel which can be seen as a slight bulge - which can be felt both inside and out.    Colour I believe is 'Cloudy Pink'  -  rim dia. is 9.3/4" and height is almost 4".  Outer areas of the the base have quite considerable wear as you'd expect, but otherwise good condition.       May have missed it, but can't seem to find this shape in Leslie Jackson, and I  have looked thru some of the pics. in the wfrs. catalogue on 'Whitefriars.com., but I'm a bit confused so wud vey appreciate someone's help please, and thanks for looking.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: reqest for pattern/No. for wfrs. bowl.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
Could this be Nazeing rather than Whitefriars?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
thanks Steven  -  regret I don't have any Nazeing to compare it with, and rashly hadn't considered that source.     Unfortunately, I have to go out now, so will be back on this eveing.    cheers  Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
uhmmmm  -  this 'pink' does seem to have been colour used by Nazeing.   Apologies for the confusion assuming I do have it wrong :-[

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »
Is the polished pontil mark slightly matt?

Would you like me to move this to Glass for greater exposure?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:17:38 PM »
thanks Cathy.  I will examine the pontil mark more carefully this evening, and let you know.    Are you suggesting that a matt or shiny ponitl indent is a  good indicator of a specific production? :)     Now that I have looked at some examples of 1930's Nazeing Pink (via the screen), it does look very much as tho Steven is correct.   Due to a lack of hands on knowledge I hadn't realized until now the similarity (to inexperienced eyes) of some types of 1930's - 1940's Wfrs./Nazeing/Gray-Stan/Scottish glass  -  with a colourway of swirling/cloudy effect.    Comparing my recent cloudy/streaky Grey Wfrs. bowl with this 'pink' item, there is a strong pattern similarity - the deciding factor being possibly that Wfrs. didn't actually make this 'pink' bowl shape.    I was a little surprised that more people didn't post to correct me :-\, but suggest you give it a little more time where it is, but feel free to move if you feel so inclined. ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
shud really have looked at my own pics. above  -  but the answer is yes, the indent is very matt  - compared for example with a piece of (probably) contemporary, and most of my other modern pieces of wfrs. which are quite shiny.   Does this confirm something one way or the other? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand