No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request please on 'free form' dish. Whitefriars? ID = Whitefriars #9660  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
there was a time I picked up the occasional example  -  but they always turned out to be Ikea  -  so I gave up looking.    This one is substantial and heavy -  large 43mm diameter pontil (nicely polished) -  270mm long  -  110mm high  -  but as usual for me, not signed.    Base has enough wear to come from the late Bronze Age.   Grateful if anyone does recognise this one, and my thanks as always for looking.  

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: id request please on 'free form' dish.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »
Have you looked a Whitefriars?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request please on 'free form' dish.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
thanks  -  no, in fact I hadn't.   But I have now :), and it certainly looks very similar to pattern 9660 - the Oval Bowl in 'Willow' (page 135  -  plate 147 in Leslie Jackson).   Has that almost imperceptible bulge half way up/down, which can just be seen in the picture if you look very carefully, also has a quite distinctive rise at the higher end.   Tended not to think of wfrs. and free form, which obviously a mistake, and I will now go into the wfrs.com catalogues and look to see if the size matches.     My sincere thanks to you as always Lustrousstone.   It was a quid at the boot sale ;)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: id request please on 'free form' dish. Whitefriars?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:55 AM »
Tweaked your title a bit to try to attract one of the Whitefriars collectors.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
thanks Cathy.      cheers              Paul S.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
I'd say it is right for 9660 Willow if it has a greenish tinge which it looks to have or Pewter if it is grey.  Retailed for 78 shillings at the time - LOL!  Just a bit of silly info!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:51:08 AM »
Yup - Emmi's spot on. I've had a couple of these in the past in this colourway.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »
thanks to both of you.    However, may be a hiccup on my part insofar as Jackson shows only the 'Willow', and after Lustrousstone mentioned Wfrs. I got a bit of tunnel vision re the picture in the book.   Will look carefully again tonight, just to make sure it isn't the 'Pewter' version as mentioned by Emmi  -  not so easy to tell the colours some times just from the pictures that we post.      Nothing silly at all to add a little history re the price  -  I was actually around then, and 78 bob, or three pounds eighteen shillings, was a substatial amount of shekels/ackers.     When I picked it out of a box on Sunday morning it was covered in grot/grime/muck, but it was the weight I think that made me think it had to be a bit special.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »
LOL! You can't possibly be as old as I am.  I was just working at that time and think that was about half  my weekly wage...........and was spending that on paint and Pollyfilla for my first house.......could only put my milkbottles on a shelf for decoration!  Those were the days my friend, thought they'd never end!!! Sorry, getting nostalgic.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
If like me you can remember Mary Hopkin - then well ..............strueth we must be old ;)             Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand