No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request please for vase ID = Inwald 'AIGLON'  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request please for vase ID = Inwald 'AIGLON'
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
I have looked on Pamela's wonderful site (at vases) - fairly sure it's not Bagley, and still don't have the Sowerby discs - so have exhausted my meagre efforts for the moment, and just wondered if one of the vase experts recognised this piece.   Very attractive citrine colour, I think, and would imagine a difficult piece to produce with such a massively flared top.    About 250mm tall - and about 240mm wide, with quite a lot of base wear, and do people think a 'deco' style.   My thanks for looking, and grateful for any replies.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: id request please for vase
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
Paul, would say it's Inwald 'AIGLON' (eagle) - see the Markhbeinn catalogue page here
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Markhbeinn-1932.19+B6YmFja1BJRD0xOSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9NjMzJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTE5JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Can't see your picture while writing this - have to look again for more details  ;D

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
also appears as design R. Schrötter in Inwald's 1940 catalogue # 9496 'ORLOW' range (eagle)

and of course Marcus' CD: Rudolfova before 1958 page 8  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
thanks Pamela - I admire your hardwork in giving us id's for these pre-war designs.    Certainly looks like like the correct pattern in the Marckhbeinn catalogue - heavily fluted chevrons  -  although I wud take issue with the original artist :)    Not sure about Deutsch, but in English we would use the word 'everted' to describe something with an extremity which is flared massively, in the way this vase is.    Looking at the artists picture, I dont think he/she has reproduced accurately the extent of the flare of the piece - bearing in mind the diameter of the top which is only 10mm less than the overall height of the vase!    In the flesh the top really does blow out.    But what the hell, I couldn't have drawn the picture, neither could I find the right source.   I see also, in the heading of the first page that they had email in 1932 ;D   Anyway, thanks again from the U.K.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
Paul, very nice and typically Inwald quality piece, the square foot is purely Inwald  :D
I think these vases come from one and the same mould and are everted or inverted afterwards, but as long as still hot and flexible enough.

The exact shape of yours is offered by Markhbeinn in their 1933 catalogue on page 12 in three heights (i.e. three moulds): 20, 25 and 30 cms, and, amongst many other shapes, also a wider one of only 18 cms height which came with a flower support - all items of this huge range on this special page had no email  :24:

Here's a green bowl, plate:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/08686.html

Pamela

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:55 AM »
I see also, in the heading of the first page that they had email in 1932 ;D   

Heh heh heh Paul, don't you know nuffink? émail means enamel not email!  :chky:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:58 AM »
Whole site - Beautiful @ http://pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html  :hiclp:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: id request please for vase ID = Inwald 'AIGLON'
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:41:18 AM »
Flaring like that is not difficult but it does require skill IYSWIM; as Pamela says it's done by hand after the pressing. Almost all pressed or mould blown pieces that have a curved top (in either direction) are hand finished.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:28:31 AM »
You may also be interested to see this 2006 archive page on my old website.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/MoreInwald.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
Pamela/Anne/Antiquerose/Lustrousstone/Glen  -  If only my wife had as much time for me as you girls. ;)   But seriously, my thanks for everyone's input, and although I may not always remember to say so, as a beginner I do really appreciate your knowledge and help.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand