No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schrotter/Inwald and Boule/Candlewick (Now partially imaged)  (Read 21977 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Schrotter/Inwald and Boule/Candlewick (Now partially imaged)
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »
Just a little note re. English "look alike" patterns re. Boule. The nearest Sowerby came to it was their 2644 which has the little ball shapes around the edge - but they are not continuous as they are alternated with plain edge segments.

Edited to add Sowerby's 2648 as well, which DOES have little balls all around the edge.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »
Thanks Glen
While I was writing there were several postings. I'm not sure if it would have made much difference though as I'm more confused that ever !!

OK I got that Boule and Candlewick are the same from Marcus initial posting  aand as per my posting. I just thought that it could have had 2 names in Czech ....stranger things have been known ...but my german is obviously not up to scratch.

But from reading here I didn't realise that Pollax had been definitely ID'd and can't tell which one Marcus was talking about in his second posting. (Pollax or unknown ? ) !

Is Pollax the one in the German auction ?
..........which looks the same pattern shown at the Teplice Museum site link I gave. Is it ?

Or are one or both of these the 4th "unknown" pattern ?

Or are Zwiebel Muster ? or Rex ? still candidates for that ?
and what has Clambroth got to do with all this ?
and what is Onion pattern ??
Pete

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Is Pollax the one in the German auction ?
..........which looks the same pattern shown at the Teplice Museum site

Not as far as I am aware, Peter. Pollax does not have panels - it is plain.

I don't know what the pattern is on the Teplice Museum site (url ends ema1003).

I'm not sure what the 4th unknown pattern is (there's a Catch 22 in here, of course). I'm putting forward Zwiebel Muster and Rex as candidates.

I think clambroth came in because Marcus misread an entry somewhere and I was just clarifying (with Connie's help) that it is actually a colour..

And finally, where did the onion come in? Well I think Zwiebel means onion or bulb.

Glen (who is off to get some onion clambroth to warm her up and clear her brain)

Sklounion

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 05:54:36 PM »
Thanks for the feed-back here all of you.

Glen, thank you for your suggestions, Rex is unlikely, and "Zwiebel Muster" I can discount.

Interestingly from Peter's contribution, the last paragraph on the Regional Museum Teplice site link he gave, specifically mentions "Boutique" and "Cibulak" and credits these to Pavel Panak. The meaning of Cibulak is "Onion". The former of these I am familiar with as it was an exhibited pattern at the 1st Internation Exposition of Glass and Porcelain held in Jabonec nad Nisou in 1973, reference image number 20, and was best press glass product of 1972. Produced Sklo Union Teplice, Rudolfova Hut.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 06:14:59 PM »
Marcus - why is Zwiebel Muster discounted (I really am not familiar enough with the glass from this era so I need your guidance)? Was it not a well known Rudolfova Hut (GlassExport) pattern? Or is it the wrong era/style etc.

Glen

Sklounion

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 07:58:56 PM »
Hi Glen,

If "Cibulak" and "Zweibel Muster" are the same pattern, then they are too late, as Panak worked for Sklo Union Teplice through the 1970's and 80's. If "Zweibel Muster" is decorated as described, then this mystery set, (which may be the one on the eBay.de link above,) is not "Zweibel Muster" as it is arguably fairly plain.

Will try to get an image to you...

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=48 Mod: dead link

thanks and regards,

Marcus

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 08:01:04 PM »
Thank you Glen
Phew ...I'm now almost up to speed ....and Marcus is already off on a different expedition !!! I'll never fully catch up !!!

How do you know Pollax ? From an Inwald catalogue ?
Was Pollax also produced by other makers under different names like Lord and Boule ? Or don't we know that yet ?

DOH  :oops:
Finally I've realised that Marcus was only trying to identify the 4th unknown pattern and presumably already knows what Pollax looks like. It's me that got stuck on Pollax because I don't and can't find a pic  :(  Apologies all round.

Playing with you big guys is hard work and I'm not good with patterns at the best of times. I just like to see whats being talked about that's all  :roll:

PS for an example fo Clambroth see Ray's Swan ....oooops no his photos have gone now. another DOH
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 08:12:03 PM »
Sorry,

I have been arrogant, and humbly suggest that people who are not familiar with "Pollax" or other Rudolf Schrotter patterns should look at:
seites 89-91, pk-2004-1-3 of Seigmar Geiselburger's excellent site:
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/

a chastised and embarrassed

Marcus

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 09:21:08 PM »
Marcus,
Nah ... Your query was aimed at those who do know ....
I'm just insatiably curious ...and I like pics and I thought it would be nice for others too see.

comment removed

Finally under spelling "Polax" I found this pic at the excellent
Designhandlung.de
http://www.designhandlung.de/sites/g017.php
I hope this is it
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 09:38:52 PM »
Peter,
Yes its "Pollax" on the design website.
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand