No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schrotter/Inwald and Boule/Candlewick (Now partially imaged)  (Read 21980 times)

Sklounion

Schrotter/Inwald and Boule/Candlewick (Now partially imaged)
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2006, 06:16:30 PM »
Please bear with me, as this is not complete, only 160 more Lord scans to go, however:
http://www.sklounion.com/SkloUnion/SchrotterDesignlist.html
is now active.
I have tried to find a happy balance between line drawings and catalogue images.
If people are happy to submit images of actual pieces, I would be very happy to include them, your copy-right acknowledged.
"Boule" has not been included as I am trying to resolve conflicting numbering systems. Also more items will be added, once I have worked my way through Markhbeinn catalogues.
This has taken some serious effort, and my thanks to Anne, for sorting the active image links.

Suggestions for improvements, gratefully received.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »
Hi Marcus
I've just read and enjoyed your article Sklo Union - Some views. Three little ponts: Fig 1 is missing completely, gives an error; Fig 4 has a caption and a callout much further down the page, but is not called out, as far as I can see, between Figs 3 and 5, and also has no picture; and Fig 16 has no callout in text.

I did find the green ash tray I saw today (Fig 10). You wouldn't want to drop that one on your foot!!! :shock:

Sklounion

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
Hi Christine,
Thanks, the page has been experiencing problems which we are working to resolve, and hopefully soon, it should be sorted out.
Whilst the Schrötter design list is on its way, hopefully giving people some idea of his range of designs, the up-dating of the Sklo Union pattern list is problematic, particularly, trying to negotiate copy-right permissions from Czech photographers. Also the sheer volume of designs from what was one of the most influential designs teams of its era is very challenging, particularly when some design attributions are being contested by the designers themselves.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Micro-Wave

• Members
    • http://www.RubyGlass.com
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 01:05:59 AM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
:shock:  Designed in 1975!  Imperial Glass has been making Candlewick a seemingly identical pattern since 1936 . . .
. . . Imperial made this pattern in every piece imaginable.  It is one of the most popular elegant depression glass patterns in America. . . This puts a whole new twist on Candlewick.  I would love to have a piece of each to compare.

The Candlewick Pattern was produced by The Imperial Glass Company of Bellaire, Ohio in the USA. Since one of the most confusing parts of their production was their stemware, I have hosted a website for several years to allow differentiation and identification of this stemware. That location is:   http://www.rubyglass.com/Candlewick/Index.asp
Please be advised that while the stemware shown may have had ruby bowls, most of the production was done in crystal.

The Hughes "Cornflower" was a cutting on Candlewick glass blanks by the Canadian firm.

Libbey produced a line of "Stems with Beads" by the name of "Nob Hill."  Of greater interest is the glass produced by Anchor Hocking Glass, which is a larger contributor to the confusion with Candlewick. Some of these pattern names were "Boopie", or "Berwick" as the proper pattern name assigned by AH, "Burple", or "Inspiration", and "Bubble" or  "Early American."
There is a quality differential in that all of the Candlewick was hand blown and the Anchor Hocking was machine blown.

I hope I have not confused the issue hereby interjecting this data on the "Candlewick" pattern.

Orville
http://www.RubyGlass.com
http://www.Antique-Art-Glass.com
http://www.PixClix.com

Sklounion

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »
Lustrousstone wrote:
Fig 1 is missing completely, gives an error; Fig 4 has a caption and a callout much further down the page, but is not called out, as far as I can see, between Figs 3 and 5, and also has no picture; and Fig 16 has no callout in text.

Hi Christine, now appears to be ok. Thanks Anne for the surgery needed through my incompetence.

Orville, very useful contribution. Thanks.

regards,

Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »
Inexperience, not incompetence!  :wink:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection

Offline Doug

• Members
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 12:34:43 AM »
Libbey and, as you have noted, numerous other companies have made glass that is similar to Imperials candlewick. Here's a good site that shows many of the pieces often mistaken for Candlewick.

http://hometown.aol.com/dbfrogs/2.html

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 01:29:02 AM »
Ah right, thanks Doug. A useful page to bookmark. :)

Sklounion

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 08:06:15 AM »
Hi Anne,
imho, the items you link to are probably not Inwald Boule. This I base on the observation that "Boule" handled items, creamer, cups etc have 7 balls on the handles, and one slightly underneath the lower part of the handle.
All the examples I have images of, display this trait, whether clear or opalescent.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand