No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schrotter/Inwald and Boule/Candlewick (Now partially imaged)  (Read 22018 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Schrotter/Inwald and Boule/Candlewick (Now partially imaged)
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 07:05:54 AM »
here we have the "Kugelrand" pattern designed (!) in 1975 by F.Keuchel and produced by VEB Glaswerk Schwepnitz.

Connie

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 11:52:26 AM »
:shock:  :shock:  Designed in 1975!  Imperial Glass has been making Candlewick a seemingly identical pattern since 1936  :lol:

Here is 1 of 4 pieces that I currently have

Candlewick double handle bowl   Mod: link dead

While mine is a handled bowl, Imperial made this pattern in every piece imaginable.  It is one of the most popular elegant depression glass patterns in America.

I know Peter showed Candlewick earlier but the site he showed didn't have any bowls.  When I saw the image of Boule I was shocked at how close it looks to a Candlewick deep bowl.

This puts a whole new twist on Candlewick.  I would love to have a piece of each to compare.

Sklounion

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 04:36:02 PM »
Connie,
I have just posted a link to an image of "Boule", a piece that ironically I purchased from the US, (and which arrived this a.m.), complete with Inwald/Sklo Union label as well as the Bohemia Glass label. This is later production, maybe late 1950's or early 1960's.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=49 <--- Mod: Link dead

From what you say, Imperial must have been making this within months of the design going into production in Teplice.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 06:06:03 PM »
A June, 1988 article (I only have part of the text) from the US publication, the "Glass Review", has an article "Candlewick or Czech". The author - Virginia Scott - refers to her previous article where she had noted that some Czech glass was much like Imperial's Candlewick. She continues saying that she received a letter from Francis Allen of Maryland who wrote "Candlewick collectors may be interested to know that an identical pattern, fittingly called 'Boule' was designed by R. Schrötter and made at Rudolfova Hut at Inwald Czechoslovakia in 1935. Enclosed are copies from Ceske Lisovane Sklo, Listopad prosinec, 1972, illustrations 33a-c. Imperial came out with Candlewick in 1936/37; who copied who?"

More recently, an in-depth study of Imperial's Candlewick, as written in the Imperial Glass Encyclopedia Vol 1 notes that Candlewick was shown in a House Beautiful magazine in 1935 (though not named). The article further explains that Candlewick had a place in the Imperial factory during the 1930s. The book asserts that Imperial president Earl Newton returned from New York in circa 1933 with a piece of glass in a pattern known as “French Cannon Ballâ€. The Imperial mould shop then made two moulds based on the pattern - one was for a 4 toed bowl, the other was for a footed bowl.

The public debut of Imperial's Candlewick took place in August 1936.

It's just possible, I suppose, that the French pattern was actually a Czech one, marketed by our old Parisian friend, Monsieur Markhbeinn!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Connie

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 08:45:37 PM »
Marcus -

:shock:   I have seen that same piece your pictured many times.  Sometimes in a teal blue and sometimes clear but never with a label.  It has been dismissed in several reference books as a reproduction piece of Candlewick!

I am away again (with my princess this time at a beauty pageant) or I would give you the reference.  I think it might be in Gene Florence Elegant Glassware of the Depression Era.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Archive Candidate
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 05:35:24 AM »
Quote from: "Marcus"
Several new developments in the last five days mean this is no longer a dead topic.
One is the discovery of an example of a Rudolfova hut'-produced design, 1940, Rudolf Schrotter, on a French brocante. Second is a discovery by Siegmar of a document from CZ, showing what appears to be a closely related pattern "Orlow". The document gives an alleged list of patterns and dates which defy current thinking, which maybe/is inaccurate, but we remain unsure as to whether the item found, is a pattern named "Argos", or yet another unidentified pattern.

Sklounion

Rudolf Schrötter.
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »
Recent developments mean that we are gaining a greater knowledge of the range of glass designed by Rudolf Schrötter. Whilst there remain a number of patterns designed by him, but names of which remain unknown, the view of what can be definitely attributed to him, and which was made by Josef Inwald, include the following patterns:
Lord, 1922 (Jacobean)
Argos, 1935
Bull, 1935 (Boule) (Candlewick in the USA)
Pollax, 1935
Feston, 1936
Olympia, 1937 Possibly 1936
Wien, 1937
Barock, 1937
Doris, 1937
Breitecken, 1940 Now known to be as early as 1928
Orlow, 1940 Now known to be 1935
Roma 1946
Teplitz, 1947 (Note: This date is inaccurate, as the pattern appears in the pattern book of Vereinigte Böhmische Glasindustrie A.G. (name for Inwald during the German occupation of the Sudetenland) and therefore design/production date must be before May 1945).
Perforal, 1947

I would like to thank Eva Pankovà of the Regionalni Muzeum, Teplice, for sending me some material which has helped to widen our knowledge.

I shall be posting images of each pattern, as time and copyright issues permit.

Later edits in blue

Regards,
Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »
Please could anyone indicate the current role of Libbey, in the glass industry? Jackson indicates that it is now part of Owens Illinois.
I ask as Libbey appeared in an earlier part of this post as a manufacturer of "Boule".

After talking to Fran Yorke, an American Imperial "Candlewick" collector and writer, who is writing a book on "Candle-wick" look-a-likes, it would appear that Libbey are currently sourcing from the Czech Republic. A recent US purchase at a Target store was labelled "Libbey. Made in the Czech Republic". As Rudolfova Hut' is no longer in domestic glass production, I have a suspicion that one of the former Sklo Union units, probably SHL Libochovice, is using the Rudolfova Hut' moulds.

Now the question is, did Libbey ever make this pattern, or has it always been bought in from Inwald/Sklarny Inwald/Sklo Union???

Regards,

Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 10:39:12 PM »
If this is of interest to anyone:
http://www.sklounion.com/SkloUnion/Schrotter.html
Some of the images are not small.
A database of known Schrötter's designs, will follow shortly.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 11:21:47 PM »
Excellent

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand