No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Date request please for piece marked Asprey  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Date request please for piece marked Asprey
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »
Apparently it was described as a 'cream jug' by ChrisH (2005) - so did a search and came up with replies in November 2005 from Frank Andrews and Nigel Benson http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3117.0.html.    Mine carries similar etched marks on the base, and the full no. is 871379 (not an 8 as with the clear example) -  mine is taller also and stands at 9.1/2".  I haven't tried taking a picture of the back stamp because it is so indistinct.    I don't readily have access to Reg. Nos. this high, so if anyone can tell me which year this was produced would be very grateful, and thanks for looking, and now I can genuinely say I have something in the house from Asprey, and I do understand that they are/were retailers and not manufacturers   Mind you looks a bit big for a cream jug ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Date request please for piece marked Asprey
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »
Looks like a Martini jug, especially with the ice lip

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
These were made by Whitefriars,( at least most of them were, although I see that Nigel has seem the same or similar made by Stuart) quite a few seem to be appearing on ebay recently.  Not in the W/F catalogues as they were made on commission.  Seen them in flint, Amber and Sea Green so far.  Saw one recently with Asprey and Harrods etched to the base............as both are retailers, not sure why they had the two names.  And they are Martini mixers and would have had a "stirrer" with them..........perhaps sold as a duo or as an optional extra.  Not sure of the dates they were produced but suspect early 60s.

John Hobbs has had a few, so will know more about them regarding the different sizes colours ,dates etc.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
thanks to both of you  -  although had imagined that particular No. might have been first registrered earlier that the early 60's - anyway, I was only surmising.   I have the Blue book, but data for nos. post that publication I don't have.     Perhpaps not as scarce as I had first thought.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
Cocktail mixers i have sold several , two in the last month they were made by Whitefriars two sizes i believe .
I have had them in sea green, amber and flint i still have a large one in flint marked Asprey and a reg number that you can never read , they are in the Museum of London cats with a carousel , jug in the middle and glasses round the edge ,the pinched spout holds the fruit and ice back when you pour so you dont get splashed , i bought them many years ago sold them for peanuts , you watch them rocket now . :cry: :huh: :pb:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
thanks jp - so your advice would be to hang on to a piece like this because it's on the way up? -  a sort of Mark Hill antique of tomorrow, piece :)  makes me think of something out of Dali or Bosch.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »
Yes Paul totally under valued  at the moment but if you are not too old hang on for a while .Watch the market .jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand