No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Still Pompadour? or Elme Glasbruk? or a copy ? ID help please  (Read 7897 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Bought this (I think ) stunning vase recently on EBay Aus. described as possibly Murano. It has a look to me similar to the Pompadour range by Nanny Stilll, or I have also seen an Elme Glasbruk one for sale - almost identical but slightly different top. I have lent out some of my books, and can't find it in Fire and Ice or on the web. Does anyone know who made it. The base has lots of rings on it which I am sure I have heard mentioned before (but I am ashamed to say can't remember in what context)

even if it is a Japanese copy I still like it however  :)
Any help/comments appreciated.

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Still Pompadour? or Elme Glasbruk? or a copy ? ID help please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
I don't think it is Pompadour, see here: http://www.designlasi.com/en/esinehaku?keys=pompadour&tid_2=All&tid_5=All&tid_1=All&tid_3=All&tid_4=All

I think it may be one of the German glassmakers but my mind has gone blank. ::) Usually see them in green with white inside.

John

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:16 AM »
Thanks John - I agree, I had already looked at the Pompadour photos available on Google, and it is not quite the same. 

this item currently on ebay looks almost identical though - described as probably Elme glasbruk  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Elme-Glasbruk-1960s-Scandinavian-Blue-Hooped-Glass-Vase_W0QQitemZ120551042754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Art_Glass?hash=item1c1166eec2

Do the base rings mean anything? I am sure I have seen the effect elsewhere but can't remember where.

JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »
The 'base rings' are a result of the production process, probably formed as the hot glass cooled. If there are concentric and distinctly moulded rings like the photo below then I would suspect a Tamara Aladin design.

The attributions of that ebay seller are not to be relied upon (much commented upon on this board before).

Here's a possibility re your vase: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20546.0.html

Is there a moderator lurking in the shadows, maybe a move to glass for this thread would help?

John

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
Thanks John - that link is good - same shape vase - but very different colours. The base rings on mine are quite pronounced like your photo - can be felt with fingertips, but  even so it stands well.  I have a signed Tamara Aladin vase and the quality and feel of the glass is similar - but Hirschberg I haven't seen before, so have nothing to compare to there - seems to be very little on the web either. And thanks for the tip on the sellers attributions.
Thanks again. JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »
Hi
 Here is your vase next to a genuine Pompadour vase of roughly the same size
 You can see the differences.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »
there are more variations on the same theme, some of them Kaj Franck...

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 06:38:45 PM »
Yes, these vases of 'baluster' form were popular in the 60s and 70s
For reference, here is the full range of Riihmaki Pompadour vases, as far as I know

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Great way of putting it, Robert, when you see pics side-by-side like that!  :hiclp:

The one with out rounded mouth seems to be prod.number 1404, probably produced only in 1967-68, heights 20, 22,and even 27 cm (?)
The one referred to in this thread is prod.number 1945. Picture found in the reprint of Riihimäen lasi pricelists of the time, but no longer in e.g. 1974 pricelist.Elsewhere it is also stated that these would have been produced in years 1967-73 in heights 22 & 28cm

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 07:44:46 AM »
Thanks Everyone for your comments and especially PX for the ID as Rihimaen - I hope I read that correctly?

Don't know why but I didn't get notified of more comments so have only just seen them. Thanks again. Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand