No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Still Pompadour? or Elme Glasbruk? or a copy ? ID help please  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Still Pompadour? or Elme Glasbruk? or a copy ? ID help please
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
Hi, just wanted to say that the ebay item mentioned is mine, and as some doubt is being cast over my attributions, I'd like the opportunity to defend myself.  I always try to research the glassware I sell, and describe it to the best of my ability. Also I am more than happy to be corrected if someone thinks I have made a mistake.

Anyway, some reasons why I attributed that vase to "probably Elme Glasbruk"..

Firstly, a link to a thread on this forum about this particular design, where the verdict seemed to me to be "probably Elme":
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4419.msg35649.html#msg35649

Secondly, a link to another reputable glass dealer selling the same vase, described as Elme Glassbruk, without the "probably" by the way:
http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/scandinavian-glass-1/showitem-AELME-ORANGE1.aspx

I hope this clears things up a little, and if anyone feels any of my other listings are misleading, you are more than welcome to email me and put me straight.  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:12:58 AM »
Firstly, the cased baluster vase thread you quote is an old old posting. Since then it's been firmly established - and frequently mentioned - that the majority of them are German, with some hailing from China. Pip's listing was also created back when knowledge on them was sketchy and Elme seemed the best fit - it sold long ago, and so clearly updating has been overlooked.

Secondly, with regards contacting you for correcting your attributions, you did, for a few years, list hundreds of cased glass items as "Holmegaard", when clearly they were not - majority of them were inexpensive Chinese pieces of dubious quality. I contacted you on more than one occasion to indicate this, and received no reply. In the end I had to just tweak my search parameters so that it stopped your listings from flooding my page.

Finally, as to the "best of your ability" enrolled in describing your glass - the red cased vase with the 'foreign' label that's at the end of the old thread you quote above was much later sold by me on eBay - correctly attributed to Hirschberg, if I remember rightly - and you bought it for the fairly nugatory sum that it was actually worth. The next week it appeared in your sales, with the label peeled off, and was listed as "Holmegaard" at a greatly-inflated price.

I don't like airing this, particularly, as it is between you and your conscience what your private business practices are - but if you lay false claim to due diligence in a public forum then a public rebuttal is not entirely out of order.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:31:09 AM »
Thanks Everyone for your comments and especially PX for the ID as Rihimaen - I hope I read that correctly?

Don't know why but I didn't get notified of more comments so have only just seen them. Thanks again. Jackie

No no, jakgene.  The others are experts, not me. And even I wouldn't think it is Riihimäen. Sorry. :(
Sorry for my bad English and way of putting it if you misunderstood. I just wanted to give some additional info (part numbers) for further IDs to Roberts pictures that, I think, so clearly show the Riihimäen shapes for comparison.

(you might have chosen that you only get one notification of new posts to a thread and not of all separately?)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 08:41:25 AM »
Hi Nic, thanks for your response.  I guess it does explain things, it does paint a pretty bad picture.

I will hold my hand up and admit that for a while, I did go along with what seemed to be the "norm" on ebay, putting "Holmegaard" or "Holmegaard?" in the title for coloured cased glass, "Loetz" in the title for Art Nouveau glass, etc.  Usually in the description I would try to state the likelihood that it was Holmegaard, i.e. "possibly", "probably", or list other possible manufacturers.  As I grew more knowledgeable and came across manufacturers such as Elme, Alsterfors, Ekenas etc I realised how many listings on ebay, including my own, were inaccurate, and I have since tried to correct these mistakes.

From time to time people do email me to point out an error in a listing, and I am always willing to update a listing for better accuracy, especially if their claims can be verified, and have done so several times.  I honestly do not remember you emailing me Nic, but if for whatever reason I didn't respond, I am sorry for that.

I also really don't remember buying the red vase listed as Hirschberg, and relisting it as Holmegaard.  If this happened then it certainly wasn't on purpose.  I buy a lot of glass from ebay, and it used to be quite a while till I got around to relisting it.  Maybe I forgot about your original description and just went along with listing it in my usual way back then.  Also if I removed the label then it was probably because I felt a partial "Foreign" label wasn't all that important, or maybe I didn't remove it, but didn't show it in the description.

If it is agreed now that this design (the one shown in the ebay listing) is by Hirschberg, I will of course update any current listings, and I am grateful for the correct attribution.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
Wayne, just had a brief look at some of your items for sale and your attributions are better than they were the last time I looked (quite a while ago).

My apologies for my rather general statement earlier in the thread.

It should I guess be pointed out that new information crops up from time to time and as a result knowledge about certain items changes and attributions get 'updated'. One of the best places to hear about the current state of play is here on this message board given the broad range of people from various nationalities who post here (thank you to everyone from me ;D).

John

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
Thanks John.  I will try to keep an eye on posts at this forum more often, it is definitely the best place to find accurate attributions, and I trust the opinions here more than most books out there.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
Identifying glass is not easy (as this thread shows), and the standard on eBay is appalling, so good on you Wayne for making the effort.

Meanwhile, could someone update this thread?

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
Hi, just wanted to say that the ebay item mentioned is mine, and as some doubt is being cast over my attributions, I'd like the opportunity to defend myself.  I always try to research the glassware I sell, and describe it to the best of my ability. Also I am more than happy to be corrected if someone thinks I have made a mistake.

Anyway, some reasons why I attributed that vase to "probably Elme Glasbruk"..

Firstly, a link to a thread on this forum about this particular design, where the verdict seemed to me to be "probably Elme":
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4419.msg35649.html#msg35649

Secondly, a link to another reputable glass dealer selling the same vase, described as Elme Glassbruk, without the "probably" by the way:
http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/scandinavian-glass-1/showitem-AELME-ORANGE1.aspx

I hope this clears things up a little, and if anyone feels any of my other listings are misleading, you are more than welcome to email me and put me straight.  ;D

Hi there, have only just caught up with this thread!  Wayne, so sorry for unintentionally misleading you re: my 'Elme' attribution. That was arrived at with help from this forum quite some years ago when information was patchy, the item also sold a few years ago and I'm afraid I've rather neglected to update my archive - I've known for a while that these are Hirschberg production.  Huge apologies - I really must set time aside to go through my archives with a fine toothcomb and correct any old inconsistencies and errors.

I'm really glad to see you're taking the time to get to grips with your attributions - as you know I have contacted you in the past but was never really sure if offering information to you was welcomed so stopped.  I've learned an awful lot from the experienced people on this board and investing in good (usually expensive unfortunately) reference books helps greatly also.

Best of luck.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
Pip  :hi: We've missed you  :hug:

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Hi Pip, no problem at all honestly, it can easily happen.  Help with attribution is always welcome.  I keep all the emails I receive from people who help me out, for reference.  I still have an email from you when you helped me out with a Hermanova Hut vase back in 2007.  :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand