No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request please for iridescent vase. ID = Royal Brierley Studio Range  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Feel I should know this, but do think it is British, although can't now recall a name - sure I have seen little mushroomy things with this sort of surface.    Am I correct in thinking the finish is what is called a stannous oxide iridescence?   About 200mm tall and probably a very deep purple glass looking like black  -  and it is definitely cased with clear underneath the surface.   The top rim has bee ground, polished and bevelled - quite a quality piece.    Hope someone can remember the name for me, and if I am in the wrong place my apologies to all.    thanks for looking.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: id request please for iridescent vase.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
Hi Paul

I think you'll find it's Royal Brierley Studio, the Harrises from Isle of Wight Studio Glass designed the range for RB.

Suzy x

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »
thanks for quick reply Suzy - I assume it would originally have had a label  -  and do you know what sort of date we are looking at.   I appreciate that I tend to browse only the charity shops and boot sales, but I don't recall seeing a piece before perhaps a little uncommon.    cheers  Paul S. 

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
If you do a straight forward search on the name you will come up with quite a few examples. Search the GMB too as I'm sure they've been discussed before.

Siuzy x

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Late 70's /early 80's I believe,some signed 'Royal Brierley Studio' some not,like this one....
                                                                                      Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:19 AM »
thanks to both of you, and will now do a search.    think I prefer the shape of yours Keith, better than mine. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
Made in lots of sizes and shapes and a variety of base colours, I think I have seen green, blue, red, 'black' and possibly white too. Sometimes the signature is very faint.

John

That's base as in underneath rather than unpleasant. ;D

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
RB marks are very difficult to see on some pieces but if you look at the base in good light and turn the vase in various directions you will probably see a faint etched RB sig.
Regards Mike
www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
They do come in white.  :thup:

RB wanted to find a design they could "mass" produce which would emulate studio glass and commissioned the Harrises to produce it. I believe they formed a company comprised of Michael,Elizabeth and Tim to do so.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
White one with sig'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand