No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass lamp base - Deco? - ID = Feigl & Morawetz, Czech  (Read 5211 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Glass lamp base - Deco? - ID = Feigl & Morawetz, Czech
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »
Saw this at  my local auction and wondered if anyone could give me a steer about its origin and rarity or otherwise. The lower part, showing stylised leaves is matt and the flowers (roses?) are polished.  The base is also matt and is slightly concave with no marks.  Wasn't able to measure it so I'm guessing that it's about 10 or 12".  The auction catalogue helpfully describes it as "Lamp Base".
Iain

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: Glass lamp base - Deco? French?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:26:46 AM »
I dont normally feel confident to comment on other threads but could we kindly see the base.  The reason I ask is that I see a lot of Vases in the same shape and colouration not the pattern and wondered if it has been adjusted to make a lamp base.  Only the other day I picked one up hoping it had D'Avesn on the bottom hmmm it didn't.

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
Sorry, i can't oblige with any more photos.  I bid for it at the auction but lost my nerve when it reached £45 and I dropped out.  I wouldn't normally bid so much on something I don't know anything about. I do remember that it had a lip that the metal fitting screwed in under, so it looked like it was always intended as a lamp base, but I couldn't be sure. I'm pretty sure there was  no mark at all on the base, I was trying to read something into every scratch, to no avail.
Iain

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
This piece is Czech, by Feigl & Morawetz, Libochovice. It's shown in the Libochovice Glassexport before 1958 catalogue (on the CD included with Marcus's book) as no. 1918. The catalogue only shows it as a vase, but it was fairly common for these types of mould blown vase to be converted into lamps.

Steven

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
My trail of thought was correct for once

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
And my train of thought was wrong! Not for the  first time. Not deco, not French.  I would never have guessed it as late 1950s. Thanks for all the input.
Iain
Iain

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
It is entirely possible that it is a design dating from the deco era. Many of the Czech designs were made pre and post war

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »
This piece is Czech, by Feigl & Morawetz, Libochovice.
Steven

Hi , If I see one , Should I bid more than 45.00 ??????????   and if so what is it worth please.

Regards, Patrick. :)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
I believe this is a pre-war design. As Christine has stated, many Czech patterns remained in production post-war; some, particularly the Hoffmann & Schlevogt designs are still available today.

Here's another Feigl & Morawetz vase, no. 1917. This example is marked both 'Czechoslovakia' and 'Tchécoslovaquie' in the mould.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »

Hi , If I see one , Should I bid more than 45.00 ??????????   and if so what is it worth please.

Regards, Patrick. :)

These are almsot impossible to value, mainly because unlike, for example, the more common Lalique patterns, there's no auction record to consult. These vases have almost invariably been misattributed in the past and I've sometimes seen them sell for very little.

Having said that, they are certainly very stylish and have the period look. If I had more room, I'd be buying them up myself now. Recently I've noticed a couple of ebay sellers are now correctly attributing items from this range, which I guess is all thanks to Marcus's book.

The one thing holding back the vase that started this thread is that it's a comparatively less desirable pattern, people tend to prefer vases with birds or animals rather than simple floral designs. Of course, vases with female nudes tend to be the most commercial...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand