No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson 279 vases query  (Read 2963 times)

Offline uraniumsteve

• Members
Davidson 279 vases query
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »
Evening all

I have a pair of column vases but am unsure as to which type they are I would not say they are cloud glass or jade they seem more like etched as they are opaque in appearance. They seem to be matte both inside and out. So what to call them also on the base of one of them is D1/19ME any ideas. They are 10 inch tall please ignore the candle holder in the picture
Please share your grains of wisdom
Thanks a roonie

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Davidson 279 vases query
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:51:50 PM »
Hi Steve,
I´d call your vases satinised or frosted; the technique would be acid etching.
Cloud glass would be streaky, jade glass opaque. Your use of the term opaque is
a bit inapplicable as it would be used for glass, which is nontransparent while yours
despite of the finish still is translucent.
err - hope I got everything right myself.  ;)
Regards,
Dirk
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
Hi and yes your vases are indeed a registered Davidson pattern, however the moulds for these vases were sold on/passed on and they cannopt be attributed to any known maker, but they are most deffinately flint glass that has been then SANDBLASTED and not acid etched. Acid etching is by far a more expensive and labour intensiveb method to achieve the effect, sandblasting is both quicker and more productive.  Even to this day.  I have seen these vases in three sizes.  25cms being the tallest.  Each and every one of them from Davidson moulds/designes, but Davidson do not produce them in green and neither did they frost them.  This does not detract, for you have a fine pair!  Satin Glass they are not, but then again this does not detract. Their bases could be the give away to their place of origin and so study them closely.  If there is any indications of "unfrosted glass" to AND throughout the bases, then they are are continental. Also, they are most certainly English if the bases of your vases are not flat! In other words, if the base of the pair is flat to the ground and without an interior, then they are more probably or not German. They are however, produced from Davidon moulds. Hope that helps?   One other guideline, is to obeserve if any side moulding lines are present?  These were apparant in all of the Davidon vases of this type.  They were all polished out (in the main) even the those in cloud glass etc., and sandblasting will also discard any such moulding marks, but to less effect. Look INSIDE your vases for any moulding lines also.  For sandblasting OR glass polishing cannot disguise these! They sure look super!  Frosted 'N all!     

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
but Davidson do not produce them in green and neither did they frost them.

I don't know where this information came from. Davidson produced a large quantity of green glass. This non-Uranium green is seen quite often. Davidson also produced a lot of satin glass; much of their cloud glass production was satinised/ matted on one side, though unsatinised and all-over satinised are also seen. These are very nice looking vases & it's good to have a pair.

Re. the description, I agree with Dirk & would call these green satin glass. Davidson's Jade is much deeper colour, more opaque and sometimes shows trails/ bands, almost like malachite glass. Green cloud has green trails on a clear base.

By the way, the best resource for Davidson's glass and other cloud glass in general is Chris & Val Stewart's excellent site here:
http://cloudglass.com/home.htm

Steven

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
I SPEAK as a glassblower myself. The Rd. Marks upon your two vases are not (as far as I am aware) recognised or doccumented as being Davidson items.  The MOULDS, however ARE Davidson, but this frosted glass was not issued by them (well, certainly not acid etched). It is, as I am sure you well agree, dififcult to attribute withiout "FEELING" the gass itself.  Patternend MOULDS are the same, but the glass used is not!  Many a firm exchanged MOULDS, but their recipe's for the glass was totally different and this can only be judged by weight/sight and feel!  Davidson they may be, but i think not! And this is not to detract from their desire!   :-) They are however, very nice!

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
Uraniumsteve, how are the numbers marked on the base? It might help if you could include a photo of the mark.

The MOULDS, however ARE Davidson, but this frosted glass was not issued by them (well, certainly not acid etched).

Again, where does this information come from? I am intrigued as to why you would keep insisting on this  even though Chris Stewart's site - a carefully researched and beautifully illustrated resource - shows a wealth of Davidson's vases with matted or part matted finishes.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
So sorry.  I am new to this message board, but then again and all said, i speak as a wroker with glass and that is not to distract from anybody elses knowledge.  I cannot and will not dispute Chris & Stewarts OWN knoweldge and or research and nor can I re-write history!  (smile) but going by your photos iof this particular pair of vases, they have very much indeed been produced in green glass using: Manganese Oxide, Ironstone & Brass Pin Dust which was then added to the glass crystal batch to achieve this green as shown in your pics. . . A recipe unused by Davidson.  The frosting comes secondary and is most CERTAINLY and GUARANTEED as not being "acid etched".

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
Chris and Val's site refers to documentation of matt green glass being made by Davidson as early as 1922, and there are plenty of images of green, acid etched glass on their site. How can you tell the recipe for this green glass, and how do you know it wasn't used by Davidson?

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:24:57 PM »
Oh My Dear Steven . . .  I stick by what I say and would SWEAR by it . . .   Your vases are "probably" and perahps even  deffinately, DAVIDSON MOULDS, but the Davidson factory/works nevr made them.  I stand by my words.  Your vases are from Davidson moulds/patterns, but the glass as was used did not come from them or their factory. Do you have other Davidson glass?  If so, then compare its "FEEEEEL."    Steve, I am not trying to suggest thar your vases are lesd desirable due to "ME" knowing thay are not by Davidson!  They are, MORE desirable as being not by that factory, simply due to the metal/glass used to produce them and you are a lucky man. They are more desirable than a Davidson pair of Jade Glass items, as I am sure that lovers of such glass would agree! Hey, I am with you, in your CORNER and on your side!  I'd much rather have yours than a Davidson pair! (smile)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:02 PM »
Lovesglass, no offence, but if you are going to make such claims, you need to provide some sort of evidence other than feel. Chris was working from factory documentation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand