Author Topic: Question about Jobling's 11700 Celery Vase  (Read 653 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Question about Jobling's 11700 Celery Vase
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
Just looking through Baker & Crowe this morning & I noticed that in the list of Jobling registered designs on p. 52, there are two entries for the 11700 pattern, 795461 'Celery Vase' & 795462 'Celery Vase (with flanged neck). Surely the difference in reg. no. would indicate more than a flanged vs. straight neck? The illustration in the 1934 catalogue shows a straight necked vase with what appear to be asymmetric handles. I'm wondering if this is an accurate drawing as all the 11700s I have handled have been the slightly flanged version with symmetrical handles and either marked 'Regn. Applied For' or 'Rd. No. 795462', I've never seen a non-flanged version.

So has anyone seen a 795461, non-flanged 11700 vase? If anyone has a photo to share, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Steven

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Question about Jobling's 11700 Celery Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
Don't know anything about Jobling but having been through the design registrations at the National Archives, looking at Manchester glass, the differences between registration numbers can be amazingly trivial. In 1885 Burtles & Tate registered about 10 flower stands and they are all very similar. For example, there is one with a flat edge at the top, another with a crinkle edge at the top, another where the edge droops down slightly at the top  = 3 different registrations etc etc...

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Question about Jobling's 11700 Celery Vase
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »
Thanks Neil, I wasn't aware that the differences could be so slight. I guess the only way to solve this may be to do as you have and consult the original design registration application.

The intriguing thing is that if the flanging of the rim were the only difference, it wouldn't fit the pattern of Jobling's other art glass regsitrations. For example, the Fir Cone  bowls were available in flanged, deep, cupped, low-cupped and plate variants all under the same Reg. No. of 777133. Likewise I've seen 11800 celery vases with flanged rims, e.g. here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4624 and these don't seem to have been given a different reg. no. Anyway, if anyone has one of these non-flanged 11700 vases, I'd be very interested to see it, particularly the rim and handles.

Steven

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand