No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimäki pressed bowl, designer? Pattern?  (Read 7071 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Riihimäki pressed bowl, designer? Pattern?
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »
Hi,

I've just picked up this pressed bowl in a charity shop, marked with a plastic Riihimäki label (see photo). Since it only sold for EUR 0.95, I guess the label was not put on to impress me :). It's a lovely turquoise colour. The pattern looks very familiar, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before recently, possibly on this forum, but after 1,5 hours of searching I give up and plead for your help. I know it probably isn't very old (label looks modern), it's only pressed glass, but it's simply lovely and I would love to know who designed it and approximately when.

I'm sure the pattern is telltale enough, but the measurements are 27.5 cm diameter at the top, 6 cm high and 7.5 cm at the base.

By the way, I understand that Riihimäki is the name of the town, not the glassmaker, can I automatically assume this is from Riihimaen Lasi Oy? Or are there other glassmakers active there?

Thanks,

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline px

• Members
Re: Riihimäki pressed bowl, designer? Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »
I am no expert of Riihimäen Lasi Oy, but being a Finn to me the "lynx" sign is familiar from childhood's so called "Lynx Jars". (you can google "ILVESTÖLKKI" ) They are glass jars in various sizes Riihimäen Lasi produced in masses for people to preserve eg. berries, vegetables and mushrooms over the winter. Still found in homes and fleamarkets all the time. And being used too!

I remember very well the lid has the lynx sign and written "RIIHIMÄKI". In some of the jars the lynx sign and text was pressed in the glass.

So I can confirm Riihimäen lasi has used the name of the town like that in their products, for short I guess.

(additional info: The lynx logo was designed for Riihimäen Lasi in 1912 by architect Oiva Kallio. It's background is certainly in the lynx found in the coat-of-arms of the province ("Häme") where Riihimäki is.)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
On page 206 Millers 20th Century Glass by Andy McConnell it says this label was used for automatic production only 1977-90, so definitely Riihimaen Lasi.

Doesn't help with designer though.

John

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »
Thanks very much for that information. At least now I can put a period on the piece.

I've just received that book yesterday in the mail. Unfortunately, mine is the US edition, which doesn't seem to mention labels. I had no idea there were different editions of that book... beginner's mistake I guess. All this book collecting is a weird side effect. So far, I've almost spend more money on reference books than on glass!

And thanks to the extra information and trying some extra search labels, I've now discovered www.designlasi.com. Wow, that's a treasure trove of finnish glass, and they even have been thoughtful enough to provide one english speaking form on their side. I'll try there as well.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:11:29 AM »
Astrid, I've just been inspired to study and learn more of Riihimäen lasi's latest years (of so called "Kotilasi" automated production era) because of this thread! And unfortunately did not find anything (yet) of your bowl. (which makes me smile as the design is SOOOO "80's" in my eyes :))

Bear in mind it has been noted here the desinglasi -site is not always quite complete in information, especially in English. But of course a great place to search and browse for glass!

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:21:25 AM »
Designlase is a great database for browsing. But difficult to use... now that I'm logged in, it's suddenly very difficult to find the forums or to post there. Appears I've send my bowl question to the database instead of the forum by mistake. I've had to ask assistence of the site admin  :cry: I feel very stupid...

But PX, if I rekindled an interest for the  latter days of Riihimaen, I'm glad. My thinking is that since I love glass primarily for it's design, it shouldn't matter too much if it's handblown or pressed or how old it exactly is if it looks interesting. I meet antique and curio dealers here regularly who automatically dismiss any glass that isn't 'old'. To them, that means if it's younger than art deco - 1930's, they don't buy it. Which leaves more left on the shelves of charity shops for me to discover, but it boggles my mind that they would walk right past, say, an underpriced 50s Orrefors Ariel vase.

Maybe 1980 is some sort of mental barrier for most glass lovers for the less expensive glass. I think someone for instance will at some point create a forum for vintage Ikea collectors and hopefully they will make a database for eighties and nineties Ikea that is no longer sold in the shops (wouldn't that be a great reference for lovers of Scandinavian glass, if only what not to buy) :).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
mine is the US edition, which doesn't seem to mention labels.
Are you sure you're looking at the same book? Mine has prices in £ and $, which implies only one edition

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »
On page 206 Millers 20th Century Glass by Andy McConnell it says this label was used for automatic production only 1977-90, so definitely Riihimaen Lasi.

Doesn't help with designer though.

John

Sorry, different book, then? What I have is called '20th century glass' by Judith Miller, no mention of Andy McConnell. It's a US book by DK publishing. Confusing when the names are so similar...

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
There are conveniently two books with the title 20th Century Glass.

DK Collectors Guides 20th-Century Glass by Judith Miller, ISBN 1 4053 0592 4. I think of this one as a 'coffee table book' lots of nice photos but little information, a wide range of makers covered.

Millers 20th-Century Glass by Andy McConnell, ISBN1 84533 099 4. This one also has plenty of photos and images but has more information about a variety of makers and concentrates mostly on the second half of the century. A good general glass book, very useful.

John

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
And it's even more confusing that the name Miller features in both of them. But thanks for the tip, I am still searching for more general reference books, especially those that have a bit more post-war glass, so this sounds like a winner. I'll try and find one, it looks like it's already out of print...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand