No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: genuine Mdina??  (Read 659 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
genuine Mdina??
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:32:43 AM »
Being new to this production, I thought that all bases were either 'coach bolts' or polished flat.    I assume this is a carafe or vase, although don't see it in Mark Hill's book (He does say that not all designs are shown).   I do have a couple of 'inside out' vases, and the pontil/cross does look about right.  Do people think this is genuine, and would the date be right at about 1970, or is it earlier, does the colour seem rather pale for that earlier period?    Height is 9.1/2".    The lack of base wear is quite striking.  Grateful for any comments please, and thanks for looking. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: genuine Mdina??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »
Hi Paul

Yes it's Mdina. Their bases are polished flat - the coach bolt pontil stamp is very early Isle of Wight Studio Glass.  In 1969, after the Boffos joined, they polished the pontil scar in the same way as Whitefriars leaving a concave polished area on the base.  I have found a few examples in this shape that also have a Boffo bottom, but agree that the colour is one I would normally associate with later production.  I'm sure Sue will enlighten us more.

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/subprod/mdina-gozo-glass-0002210.aspx

Suzy x

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
I associate this shape of carafe, with the sloping neck rather than pronounced shoulders as being of early production, as evidenced by the polished pontil marks found on them.
I have a blue (flat polished base) and an amethyst (polished pontil mark) one of this height,  and a couple of stunning blue, cloudy and iridescent ones of 11.5", both with the polished pontil mark which indicates Harris/Boffo period.

Normally, though they appear with many more colours from silver salts and often with good iridescent streaks!

Later carafes are ~ 20 cm tall, and have pronounced shoulders, much more of a bell shape.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »
my thanks to both of you for your help.   Of the few pieces that I possess, all have the flat polished base, so this one with the polished pontil base is a first for me, and of course I will keep.  thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand