No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavily-cut Decanters - Regency or Victorian?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Heavily-cut Decanters - Regency or Victorian?
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
I'll readily admit that pre-1920s glass is a complete mystery to me, but I've ended up with a mass of apparently older pieces thanks to three very big and very random joblots at the local auctionhouse today containing a mix of old English glass and some 1970s Scandinavian glass (that I was actually after).

So I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to educate myself a little.  :)

After a bit of t'interwebbing, I've spotted a few decanters with a similar style of cutting, but they've been dated anywhere between c.1800 - c.1880. Nothing immediately leaps out of my small handful of books on older glass.

The decanters are of thick glass, mould-blown into shape rather than carved out, and very deeply-cut on the shoulder. They are star-cut to the base.

Height is about 10.5 inches / 265mm.

Any help greatly appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand