No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese lampwork weights  (Read 6737 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Chinese lampwork weights
« on: November 22, 2005, 11:22:24 PM »
OK, I now have my replacement camera up and running!   :D   So I thought I'd share a few of my latest acquisitions here.

These three are all 'dime a dozen'  :twisted: Chinese lampwork weights, which I happen to think are very nice attempts and show great promise.  Oh, and they're BIG!  :shock:  Real magnums, measuring 4" in diameter, and weighing over a kilo each!   :roll:

http://tinypic.com/fz3slx.jpg  http://tinypic.com/fz3srb.jpg  http://tinypic.com/fz3sw2.jpg

Of course they don't compare with the great lampwork masterpieces, but I can't afford too many of them unfortunately!   :wink:

Peter, would you care to put them on your website on Chinese glass?
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 12:04:42 AM »
Wow Leni!  I think they're stunning, especially in that size!  :shock:  :D  :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glass&Hockey

• Members
colorful
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 03:19:15 AM »
Colorful, but that's about it. The latticino is dirty. The leaves in each piece don't match. What is the red bulb, a pear? Why? The larger white/green/red leaf makes no design sense. They are a hodge podge and don't show individual talent. But I'm sure they'll brighten up a corner. Just curious, what did you pay for them?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 07:44:41 AM »
Whilst I understand and embrace the notion of speaking our minds, I'm not happy about the comment by Glass&Hockey.  Sneering at people's glass collections is not what the GMB is about IMHO.
I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:52:34 AM »
Have to agree with Max, to openly criticise other folks collecting tastes is gross bad manners, quite uncalled for and should not be what the GMB is all about. There are many items across the boards that don't appeal to my individual taste (though Chinese PW's are not amongst them), but I read about them all avidly to broaden my own knowledge and understanding.
A greater degree of indulgence and a lesser degree of arrogance makes for a far better environment for us all.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: colorful
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »
:lol: Thanks for jumping in, folks! But I think I can handle this :roll: :wink:

Quote from: "Glass&Hockey"
Colorful, but that's about it.

Colourful, yes.  This is a characteristic of Chinese glass - they love using bright colours.  "About it"?  Well, that's your opinion.  OK.
The latticino is dirty.

True, in the purple flower weight there is a lot of frit in the latticino.  Have you ever seen a paperweight made?  Pieces of frit sometimes get into even the best made weights, and are pinched out while the glass is still molten, when they are spotted.  Unfortunately this is not easy to do in a weight where the latticino has been arranged in the base, as it might distort the individual canes.  Also, small pieces of frit can be easy to miss while the glass is still hot, and of course impossible to remove when it's cold.  I don't suppose if you had made a weight of this size and complexity you would be willing to throw it away at the end, especially if you were being paid a pittance for making it.  But that's an unfortunate problem of the Chinese economy  :(   And if you look again at the blue on yellow latticino, you will notice that a very good attempt has been made to lay the pieces of latticino - which is actually quite clear and clean - in a criss-cross pattern.  Quite skillful, IMO!  
The leaves in each piece don't match.

I'm puzzled here.  In what way don't they match?  They don't match each other within one weight, or all the weights don't match each other?  And why should they? Presumably they weren't made as a set!  They would simply appear to be made by the same hand, or at least in the same glasshouse.  IMO the leaves 'match' within the individual weight, having sufficient internal consistency to satisfy anyone (at least, anyone who wasn't just looking for faults! :wink: )
What is the red bulb, a pear? Why?

Presumably it's meant to be a pear, although it could be some strange Chinese fruit of which we wot not!  :shock:  As for why; why not?  Here's an example of a couple of red 'pears' (I assume) http://tinypic.com/hra8lt.jpg  Oh, but wait!  That's an antique NEGC weight, and therefore 'worth' $1000+  Well, forgive my temerity for making such a comparison!   :oops:  :roll:
The larger white/green/red leaf makes no design sense.

I'm afraid I just don't understand this.  What exactly do you mean by 'design sense'?  In the purple flower weight and in the blue on yellow latticino the leaves are arranged around the flowers, four in the case of the purple and five in the blue, symetrically interspersed with the fruit and  stems.  In the blue on white, a leaf is placed each side of the stem.  Is there a different 'design' you'd prefer?    
They are a hodge podge and don't show individual talent.

Here I simply have to beg to differ.  IMNSHO they show more 'individual talent' than I could ever hope to have!  I doubt if I could turn out a simple blob of glass, let alone make and pull latticino canes, mould molten glass into the shape of flowers and fruit, keep them at the appropriate temperature until I was ready to place them carefully on top of the latticino and encase the lot in clear and unstriated glass without the lot cracking up due to differences in temperature or without including unwanted bubbles and frit.  
But I'm sure they'll brighten up a corner.

They certainly do!  And they make an interesting addition to my collection, which incidentally includes everything from these to Allan Scott 'one-off's, Willy Manson's lampwork, and antique Clichy and Baccarat!  
Just curious, what did you pay for them?

Mind your own business!  :twisted:  I told you, 'Dime a Dozen'  :twisted:  :lol:
Leni

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 10:52:09 AM »
Leni, those are so pretty. I never see those around here, just bugs and fish although I did see one once of a large fish shape with little fish inside that I thought was very whimsical. We have here a shop that sells chinese weights and some of them are quite nice. (Yes I have bought them) I used to have a large one with a pink flower that was very nice, but I sold it. This of course was before I discovered weights and the fascination there.
My view on collecting anything may seem a little strange to most. If a person wishes to collect just a certain maker thats fine, but if you collect like I do, all sorts and you want it a comprehensive collection, then it stands to reason you will want examples good and bad of all you can afford. I have weights that I consider the most god awful things created, but they are representative of that maker or even of a certain country. It certainly broadens my horizons. Just a view, Terry

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 02:14:42 PM »
Leni - I really like them and would certainly want to buy them if I saw them :P

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 02:51:41 PM »
I know nothing about Chinese PW's or PW's and not much more about glass. I do know however that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think that Leni's PW's are very eye catching and a lot of hard work has been invested into making them.
As far as my opinion on what Glass&Hockey said..........Shame on you!
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline hike

• Members
Chinese lampwork weights
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »
Are Glass&Hockey and EstlinClichy the same person? I was suspecting it from the way and the timing that G&H registered himself to defend EstlinClichy on another debate on Chinese glass works. Maybe I'm wrong.  :?:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand