No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request for 'Edinburgh' back stamp.  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request for 'Edinburgh' back stamp.
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
I've trawled through a variety of both members and non-members contributions re back stamps for Edinburgh Crystal Company, although can't seem to find this particular one.    The piece in question is a vase with fairly straightforward cutting, and date wise I am thinking somewhere in the region of 1940 - 1960, although might possibly be a little earlier.     So grateful if someone does have a more definite and accurate idea please, and thanks for looking.   Believe the mark is acid etched, and before I could get an image that the camera could 'see' I gave the mark just a feint rubbing from an ink pad, which is why it may look a little dark.   Actual stamp is about 11mm long.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: date request for 'Edinburgh' back stamp.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:19 AM »
I've a commemorative bell for New Year 1979 that has the same mark.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

Brilliant.   Yet another margin note for the back of BGbtW.   This is precisely why the GMB is so important, why jealous troublemakers should continue to be strongly resisted, and why the very highest standards of respect for everyone's IP rights should continue to be maintained.

Thanks, Angela.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
my thanks to both of you  -  although had hoped that date wise it might have been a little earlier, and it was quite a David Bailey feat to produce a readable pic.  Don't think I can ever bring myself to annotate my books Bernard - still I suppose as "British Glass Between The Wars" is not antiquarian, maybe it doesn't really count :), although think instead I will slip in a loose leaf with my comments on.    thanks again      Paul S.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:55:05 PM »
Paul — Light 2B pencil in my book box copy of BGbtW — 2B pencilled slips on acid-free paper offcuts in my library and reserve copies.   I was lucky and found a printer who let me have acid-free paper trimmings.   If you're stuck for acid-free paper, ask a friendly solicitor/lawyer.   I'm an antiquarian map and book dealer at heart!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand