No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech vases - and these I do know!  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Czech vases - and these I do know!
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »
Forgive the egotism, but just to prove that I am getting better (perhaps with a little help from the recent Beeb programmes, and certainly from Mark Hill) - two other pieces from this morning, and they are:   'Large Olives' by Borsk Slo.......and the clear piece is Hermanova 20082 by Frantisek Vizner.   I understand both designs are quite common, although I dont recall seeing them over the past couple of years.     sorry, not yet cleaned, so forgive the dirt.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Re: and these I do know!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »

Hi Paul, how big is your blue olives vase please ?   I have a beautiful one in the same colour , Its 14 inches high (35 cms) Just wondering how big they get!!!! ;D
Cheryl

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
thanks for the reply Cheryl.    I had already seen in Mark Hill's book that he mentions one size only of 14 inches (about 355mm)  - although mine is a little smaller at 11 inches (about 280mm), and regret I have no idea of the complete range of sizes - maybe someone can enlighten us :)    I see also from the same book that this design using the 'olives' pattern was used on water sets, goblets and lamp shades, and I have now attached another picture showing a water jug that I think came from a boot sale/charity shop last year (225mm tall).     However on this piece the 'olives' are horizontal, and instead of leaving the bottom finished 'as from the mould', the jug does in fact have a really large ground and polished pontil.   Have you seen other pieces with this pattern?           
References:  'Hi Sklo Lo Sklo - (Post War Czech Glass Design From Masterpiece to Mass Produced)' - Mark Hill - 2008.   Recommended thoroughly :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
Jugs have to be finished on a pontil iron to make the lip and finish the rim... The vases have ground rims

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
now that's what I call real knowledge  -  thanks :)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
 Hello again, I have two ball vases in the olives pattern, one dark grey and the other pale pink.  I love these!!!! and have picked them up very very cheaply. They seem to be making money on Ebay (but I like cheap!!!!)  ;D   Cheryl

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Czech vases - and these I do know!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
The jug is Borské sklo Czechoslovakia - from 1958 designed by Max Kannegiesser, the "big olive optic" decor.
The smaller vase is Vizner, Heřmanova huť 20082 from 1965 .

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Czech vases - and these I do know!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »
many thanks Jindrich - and really appreciate your knowledgeable help.     I have now cleaned up the large olives blue vase, and it looks very impressive on the window sill, catching the morning sunlight with a wonderful optical effect.    Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand