No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Poli or Bratt?  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 06:11:02 PM »
These piece are not Seguso. There were a few in a Quittenbaum auction recently with the label of a different firm. I'll try digging the catalogue out later and posting the maker.

chuggy, where did you get the Seguso attribution?  While they did a lot of corroso pieces, so did other companies, such as Alfredo Barbini.  If your source is Pina's books, take it with a big dose of salt (or sugar, or whatever).  She takes her attributions from the owners of pieces without any double checking.

Laura

Offline chuggy

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 07:33:53 PM »
Hi Laura
I have two references to these being SVD one from an early Christies catalogue and the other from an auction in Milan in 1979.
I never use the Pina books for anything other than the very loosest reference since I have also found very many wrong attributions over the years.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 07:40:00 PM »
Do either catalogue give a reference for their attribution?  I wonder if it's based on technique, or something more definite.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 07:42:45 PM »
I'll dig my copies out in the morning and check and get back to you tomorrow on that as family duties beckon for the rest of this evening.
Paul

Offline chuggy

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 07:46:28 PM »
By the way Laura I've just put out the Dino Martens candleabra with the swan I bought from you a while ago to use over the festive season.
Paul

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 08:13:18 PM »
Hi Paul,

I love hearing that!  I think that piece is VERY special. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Just please put some tinfoil in the holders just in case you have a few too many and accidently let the candle burn down to the bottom. :wink:

I will try to find that quittinbaum catalogue - I just realized that I have piled some boxes of glass in front of the bookcase.

Laura

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 04:41:46 PM »
OK, a Von Zezschwitz catalogue has the tall corroso vase attributed to Nason Moretti.  It looks like their vase (exactly the same as Ivo's, but in a different color, had an original Moretti label.

Laura

Offline chuggy

• Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »
Apologies on the delay in getting back on this, but it's been the week from hell.
Neither of my refernces from the catalogues has an attribution with any confirmation, merely attr'b to and as that was what I was working from I'll retire gracefully on this one.
Paul

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Poli or Bratt?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 09:44:31 PM »
I'm quite happy that this shape/model/finish finally have a believable maker's name - even if it would have been funnier if it were a pretty Poli.  Thanks Paul and Laura for your excellent sluithing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand