No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby rose bowl Tynesyde glasswear series ID = Rose Bowl and Block #2570  (Read 5756 times)

Offline bungie60

• Members
Any info on this bowl much appreciated seen listed as Sowerby but was always dubious but got one today with a bit of label left on and you can just see tynesyde glass on it. By the way the blue colour has it got a particular name, i always call it ice blue and does either the label or colour help to date it. Once again thanks in advance yours Mark

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Sowerby rose bowl Tynesyde glasswear series info please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:21 AM »
And Sowerby it is. The full label reads "Sowerby's Tyneside Glassware". This is a #2602  #2570 Rose Bowl and Block, 5 1/2", listed in my catalogue as available in flint, amber, blue and green. You'll have to wait for someone else to confirm the dates - I can't find Glen's CD, so I'm working from old photocopies of illustrated list no. 39 (which someone has pencilled in was from 1950, but I can't be sure).

Pattern number error corrected. Thanks Bernard!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:10:13 AM »
Can't find my CDs either. OH put them somewhere safe because he said I'd lose them  :24: :24:

Anyway, I suspect it one of those things with a long production run because it comes in uranium green (I've got one) and non-uranium green

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »
Thank you both its just nice to have it confirmed keeps us on our toe's as they say. Keep up the good work your's Mark  :hiclp:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:56:39 AM »
And Sowerby it is. The full label reads "Sowerby's Tyneside Glassware". This is a #2602 Rose Bowl and Block, 5 1/2", listed in my catalogue as available in flint, amber, blue and green. You'll have to wait for someone else to confirm the dates - I can't find Glen's CD, so I'm working from old photocopies of illustrated list no. 39 (which someone has pencilled in was from 1950, but I can't be sure).

Mark & Cathy β€” it isn't 2602.   It's definitely Sowerby, and it's definitely what they called a Rose Bowl and Block, but you will have to find another pattern number, probably from Glen's CDs.   2602 has a pronounced shoulder leading up to the flower block, decorated with bars set at an angle.   It also has wonderfully eclectic legs, shown in the catalogue as fitting over a raised central area on a special reversed plinth, with a note that it also fits the much more catholic 2506 plinth, which is how most of those I've bought have been plinthed.   Here is previous mention on the GMB of the Sowerby 2602.   Note that Jobling also used 2602 for one of their bird bowls.

... and a plea.   I would welcome accurate measurements of one of these special 2602 reversed plinths, together with its number (if marked β€” it should be 2602 or 2603, but it could be another number), and a description of the punch font.   Photographs would be a lovely bonus.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
Is it Sowerby 2570?  Glen's CD 1956 catalogue page 5

Hil :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
Yes, definitely a Rose Bowl and Block in pattern 2570.   My photocopies show a vase and a cress dish in this pattern.

:hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:14:46 PM »
By a strange coincidence I picked one of these up on Tuesday as I thought my friend might like it (she didn't want it) not my normal cup of tea but glad to hear its Sowerby. Thanks

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
By another strange coincidence I've just acquired a 2602 Rose Bowl and Block, now complete with a contemporary 2506 plinth.   Click on the image below to link to GlassGallery for another view, dimensions and enlargements:

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
Is it really uranium? From here I would say not, which would date its manufacture to post war rather than 1930s, as you said on the other link.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand