No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some Riihimaki Veturipullo & Aurinkopullo Pics for your Delectation  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members

Some Riihimaki Veturipullo and Aurinkopullo I have pulled together - Enjoy  :)

Offline px

• Members
Re: Some Riihimaki Veturipullo & Aurinkopullo Pics for your Delectation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
Enjoyed! :)
Just for those (like me) who do not know (yet) that much: ( I just happened to read about this, I hope it's all exact:)

Veturipullo (=locomotive bottle) was designed by Erkkitapio Siiroinen for the 100 year jubilee of Riihimäki-St.Petersburg railway in 1970.
15000 pcs was then produced. And later some 1000-2000 pc lot. Then the last lot was produced in 1995 with a special deal between Siiroinen and "JL-lasi" (in Riihimäki) all signed and  these look also a bit different from top. They say it was supposed to be a 2000 pc lot but Siiroinen passed away in 1996 and there were only 312 pieces made.

Aurinkopullo (=sun/solar bottle) is a certain type of science to learn, wow. Several sizes and all made in a different way...  lots of colours. Lots to collect !? :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »
 :hiclp: I think you need to send those uranium ones for me to check out  :clap:

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:35:37 AM »
 :hiclp: Gorgeous.

(This belongs in Scandinavian by the way. I'll move it after you've seen this message.)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »
Hi Cathy, no worries, thanks.

Thanks PX for the additional information, some really good info there.

Christine, I've got a couple of other Riihimaki UV pieces that I'm sure you would like to peruse! -out of interest how many pieces of UV glass do you have in your collection...? - There must be a fair old Geiger counter reading coming from Uranium Towers!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:14 AM »
Far too many, but only a couple of Riihimaki, and they're bowls

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Gorgeous!  I love the round ones.  I have never seen any of these on my travels :'(

m

Offline eglass

• Members
Beautiful!

A story about a recent piece from the same company. I found and sold this nice bowl by Aimo Okkolin for Riihimaki a couple of months ago, and it turns out that it was purchased by a family member of Okkolin. The piece is now back in Riihimaki. :)  Kind of nice when that happens.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12818
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12819
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12820
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12821

Offline Greg.

• Members
Nice story, good to see pieces returning to their country of origin.  Always amazes me where item turn up and the distances they have traveled.

Offline px

• Members
If ever any of you feel bad you have Riihimäki items so far from their origin, please feel free to send them to me!  :angel:

In the meantime: go ahead an collect: I read from this old newspaper article if you collect all Aurinko-bottles you should have at least 76 different pieces !  And that doesn't include Italian or Polish copies known to have been made of the design. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand