No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Questions about Nazeing / other similar British glass  (Read 3942 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Questions about Nazeing / other similar British glass
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
Hi Paul,

In brief, there was a large haul of glass that was in the ownership of one of Major Elwell's granddaughters. Elwell was the wholesaler, originally based in Bermondsey, London and later in Harlow, Essex who handled much of Nazeing's production. It came to light about 3 years ago. There is information elsewhere on the board about this, but briefly the granddaughter many years ago had inherited the residue of her grandfathers business stock after the company had closed. It had been kept in the original wooden crates that it had been packed in at that time and had not been opened for an estimated 45 to 50 years. There were pieces that evidentally had come from Nazeing, but had no written proof, there were definate Nazeing pieces from pre and post, there was Czech glass, and glass from a number of other sources. We now refer to this as the Elwell haul, or find.

In Geoff Timberlake's book there is a passage that refers to Elwell having designed glass that was made by Nazeing, but there is no evidence of what these pieces look like. It is now believed that the pieces that are not as well made as the documented pre and post war Nazeing production, but which have certain characteristics and references to their work are indeed the Elwell designs.

It is believed that the evidence that we had been seeking for years that would have conclusively tied the probable Elwell designs with Nazeing had been destroyed on a bonfire. Certainly the/a day-book which would have linked Elwell with its suppliers and customers went on the fire (because it was mouldy and in very bad condition), and we were told that a trunk of documents went on the fire. We will never know whether or not these were relevant to Nazeing's history, or whether they were mainly Elwell family history, but prime faci it was the former.

I was invited to go and see the mass of glass which was only partly sorted, but it was fully evident that it was far too large an amount for any glass dealer to manage, particularly because of the quantity of multiple duplicates. Having selected a few pieces that would help with my own research into Nazeing Glass, I and the person who had introduced me to the owner both suggested that she contacted Stephen Pollock-Hill (the owner of the Nazeing Glass Works and member of the GMB amongst a number of interests). He bought the whole collection, so it is largely still all together and as yet, I believe still to be sorted though. It understand that much will eventually end up being added to the Nazeing Museum of British Domestic Glass that Stephen opened a few years ago.

The piece shown is Elwell (in all probability made by Nazeing) rather than what we know as Nazeing, and came from the Elwell find.

Nigel

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
Paul, this is the earlier topic about the Elwell haul:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19327.0.html - the topic has a link to photos of some of the collection too - well worth a browse through.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »
Nigel and Anne, thank you both very much.  This is really cool.  I love this site.  All of this information is really interesting and exciting.

Thanks again!

PB

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
Hi Everyone, the discussion of the "Scottish, maybe WMF" (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33152.0/topicseen.html) bowl was really helpful to me with identifying several mystery pieces that I've seen over the years, thanks very much.  I have a question: does anyone know if Nazeing, or a similar British manufacturer of "cluthra" type glass, ever used sulphur in their bubbles?  I have seen several examples of a type of glass that is very similar to this Nazeing stuff, but with sulphur (yellow) bubbles.  Any ideas?  All feedback would be appreciated; it's like my own personal "cellophane glass" mystery.  Also, where can I learn more about Nazeing and similar glass?  I quick browse of the web revealed a few photos, but the results were rather general.  Thanks again.  :)
I may be able to throw some light on this, as I own one of the largest collections of bubble glass in our Museum, it must be over 100 examples. Bubbles in the glass are the bugbear of all glass manufacturers. These are produced during the melting an fusing conditions in a pot of glass. When the chemicals combine, they emit gasses in the form of bubbles. These float to the top of the melted glass, and hopefully birst and disappear. Sometimes one needs to activate this, and one uses a green piece of fresh wood to stir the bottom up, or even as the kemptons used to do in their recipes, " in three pounds of potatoes"; iron filings were also used. I will try to photograph this in CH Kemptons handwriting, and photograph some examples......

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »
Thanks for adding this Stephen, I have three Nazeing pieces all bubbly so it's of personal interest to me.  I recall Adam Dodds telling us about using a potato on the end of a rod and dipped into the pot to clear bubbles.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 04:57:34 PM »
Potatoes were often used to stir up a batch of glass, and allow the gases to break the surface and disappear. Antimony & arsenic are used today.
We have used the green bark of a small tree trunk.
It is the solanine a chemical that the potato produces to scare off the slugs and snails to whom it is poisonous in shoots, green potato skin, and is also in deadly nightshade! It produces, if eaten in quantity, gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, nightmares, headache, dizziness, itching, eczema, thyroid problems, and inflammation and pain in the joints. In more severe cases, hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils, hypothermia, and death have been reported.
So a pwerful gas. I have an 1880 recipe in front of me from Charles Henry Kempton advising the use of potatoes to make ruby glass!

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »
Given all those side effects it's a wonder we ever decided to eat potatoes, Stephen. :) 

Out of interest, have you tried using that 1880 recipe for glassmaking at Nazeing?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand