No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood sheringham etched mark question  (Read 1143 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Wedgwood sheringham etched mark question
« on: May 01, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »
I have a pair of candleholders that I now want to sell.  I've never looked into much research on them as I know they are Wedgwood Sheringham, however I've now discovered they are both marked on the base with an urn and then Wedgwood England, so thought I'd just investigate a little further.  From what I have read would I be right in thinking these are early after the takeover by Wedgwood, of King's Lynn glass?  And if so can I date them any more precisely due to this mark?  Is it known when the etched vase stopped being put on the glass?

Any thoughts or information would be very much appreciated please.  And many thanks in advance :)
m

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Wedgwood sheringham etched mark question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:53:03 AM »
Hi - have just checked my copy of Wedgwood Glass, by Susan Tobin, but all that says is that the Portland vase etched mark was the first used mark,  used after the takeover of Kings Lynn glass, followed by the "Wedgwood England" oval mark, but it gives no dates.

regards

Jackie
West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:51:07 AM »
Thank you Jackie :)  I appreciate you looking for me.

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »
In Millers 20th Century Glass (page 230) Andy McConnell states that that paper label was used in 1969 and Portland vase mark was used 1969-71. The Portland vase mark is sandblasted using a stencil, I have seen it on it's own or with "Wedgwood" or "Wedgwood made in England".

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Thank you John  :)
 so would I be right in concluding these two date to 1969 then?  If the paper label was used and they have the urn sandblasted on?
I'm not sure even why I am pursuing this  ;D but I am curious - partly because this pair look darker than the ones I have seen on the net as topaz - mine look definitely what I would call a true amber - but then that might just be lighting and photography I guess and probably my eyesight.

thanks again.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »
If the information in the book is accurate and they both have that label then yes.

Any difference in colour is more likely to be due to lighting etc. The Wedgwood Topaz is a lovely amber, much 'richer' than most ambers it looks fantastic in sunlight.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »
Thanks John  :clap: I really appreciate it.
Now I will struggle to sell them :-\ they could be the 'one piece' I keep for my for representation of Wedgwood in my collection .... well that is until I find some with many more discs :angel:
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand