No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stamped Tchecoslovaquie vases ID = 1. Libochovice, 2. Inwald  (Read 8716 times)

Offline surfersam

• Members
  • Just found a much needed passion for glass!
    • anglo creative
Hi,

I have two vases which I am stumped over!

Can anyone help please!

The first vase is a very heavy, 2.5kilos, 10" tall by 6.5" patterned design and looks amazing. So many curves in the right places... I sort of thinking that it may be sklo union but cannot find the factory or designer.  

The second is a very unusual footed vase, heavy at 750g, 8" tall by 5.1/4" at the widest point, catches the eye, lots of curves.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic

Thanks

Paul

My photos really do not do these pieces any justice!!!!

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
Re: Stamped Tchecoslovaquie vases
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »
I forgot the the one is the stamped piece.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
The second one is by Josef Inwald, circa 1930s (I have an image of it shown in a 1938 catalog) - pattern number 9045. In Carnival Glass I have given it the name "Circle Squared". Shown in marigold Carnival in "Carnival Glass The Magic & The Mystery 2" p 154.

I know the first one as well, but I don't have time right now to verify. I think it's Libochovice but someone else will confirm if I don't get back in time.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board Paul  :)

Your first one is Libochovice, as Glen mentioned, # 3032 of their catalogue before 1958, see Marcus' book CD here: http://www.sklounion.com/

This one came in three heights, i.e. 175 200 and 255 mms

nice one!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »
Hi Again,

Thank you so much for how quick you guys resolved these vases, Its taken me weeks and no luck. So thank you again and I will be buying that book at some point in the near future!

I am just learning and all the help I can get would be amazing.

Thanks again.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »
You're always welcome Paul - it would be great (and sometimes helpful) to know where you live - would you please adjust your profile accordingly?  :thup:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
hi again,

Thanks for the info pamela. I still can not find anything on J inwald!

paul

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Stamped Tchecoslovaquie vases ID = 1. Libochovice, 2. Inwald
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:57:05 AM »
Let we distinguish Joseph Inwald and Josef Inwald A.G. (company) please.

Joseph Inwald ( *28.1. 1837 Chýška near Havlíčkův Brod)
Joseph Inwald according to old documents had declared Czech nationality, Jewish religion. He finished studies (physics, math, mechanical engineering) at Prague's Polytechnical University in 1859. In 1862 he bought together with his partner Simon Brandeis glass rafinerie (glass cutting) in Havlickuv Brod (30 employees), in 1874 glass rafinerie in Schützendorf (now Dobronin) (300 employees). In 1876-77 he built his own factory in Prague - Zlichov (100+ empl). In 1893 Inwald bought glasswork in Podebrady (since 1895 200 employees), in 1901 glasswork in Radnice (160 empl).
In 1901 - 3 Inwald built glass factory in Grosspriessen a. E.(Velke Brezno) (200 empl), in 1903 he opened glasswork in Wien - Floridsdorf (200 empl). In the same year Inwald moved company headquater from Prague to Wien (Mariahilfestrasse 103). Finaly in 1905 he bouht old steelworks in Teplitz (Teplice) and in 1906 he opened glassfactory Rudolfshütte (Rudolfova hut) (300 empl). Josef Inwald was very succesfull man, he has enobled by Kaiser Franz Joseph I in 1901 (Edler von Waldtreu). He was involved also in politic. In 1906 Inwald owned 6 factories with more than 2000 emplyoees. He died 19.5. 1906 in Wien.

After Joseph Inwald die the company Joseph Inwald A.G. has been grouded by his two sons - Rudolf Inwald (*18.10. 1864) and JUDr. Oskar Inwald.

Jindrich
www.webareal./cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:01 AM »
A little bit of history about Inwald, with particular reference to the Jacobean (Lord / Milord) pattern can also be seen on my old website here:

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Jacob2.html

Lots more on Inwald on my old website as well as my books. (Our new website is "under construction" and being added to when time allows).

Jindrich, I feel that it has been a huge achievement to actually attribute many pieces of previously unknown glass to Inwald.  I have also researched and written about the history of Inwald. However, I am comfortable (and will continue) to attribute in a general way (in particular when I refer to Inwald's iridised glass) as "Inwald".

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
Great site Glen,
I found brief informatiion about Inwald in publication  Mirolsav Grisa - Rudolfova hut v Dubí (ISBN 80-86971-15-5) published in 2006 by Avirunion. This publication is hard to find at was published in Czech only (with English and German brief summary).

It seems that major and possibly one and only (but I have not any serious proof for the meantime) in Inwald A.G. was Mr. Rudolph Schrötter, the father of Czechoslovakian pressed glass. To attribute piece to Inwald A.G. is great step forward, but I would like to see always and forever to have bounded collection "Lord" for example rather with name of Rudolf Schrötter than with Inwald to avoid misunderstanding.
Inwald A.G. was factory, Schötter designer.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand