No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stamped Tchecoslovaquie vases ID = 1. Libochovice, 2. Inwald  (Read 8704 times)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Stamped Tchecoslovaquie vases ID = 1. Libochovice, 2. Inwald
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 05:33:45 AM »
I have briefly read your pages:

This is completely missunderstanding:

"Above is an extract from a Markhbeinn catalog from the early 1930s (courtesy Dieter Neumann and Siegmar Gieselberger). The pattern shown in the vases on the top row and the two items on the left of the bottom row, was called AIGLON. Translated it means EAGLET - but let's stay with the evocative French version. The items were marketed in France by Markhbeinn (a wholesaler) but they were made by the renowned Czech glass maker, Josef Inwald."

Josef Inwald was not glass maker but succesful enterpriser and in 30ties he was already 20 years dead. Josef Inwald A.G was corporation, before WWI managed by JUDr Oskar Inwald from Wien. After WWI Czech bank capital has got the majority in Josef Inwald A.G. corporation.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »
The pages on my old website are rather old now - when they were first written they were "groundbreaking". I can not make any changes to those pages as they are no longer "live" (geocities is no longer in business). At the time of writing the page on the Jacobean pattern we had no knowledge of Schrotter. However, when our recent book ("Carnival Glass The Magic & The Mystery 2) was written (published in late 2008) we wrote extensively about Rudolf Schrotter in the book.

My field of writing and research is primarily Carnival Glass (pressed, iridised glass). I object in the strongest possible terms to your accusation that my comment (as shown in your post above) "is a complete misunderstanding". I said that the items were made by Josef Inwald. That is a widely used convention (certainly in Carnival Glass circles). For example, we say that pieces are made by Harry Northwood. It's a figure of speech. We don't mean to imply that Harry Northwood or Josef Inwald actually rolled up their sleeves, gathered the hot glass, pressed it, iridised it and placed it carefully on the lehr.

I have been writing on the GMB for many, many years. I have (I hope) helped many people during those years. I have always been as thorough as possible in my very extensive research and my writing - and I always give detailed, historical facts where possible. I wrote on this thread in good faith because I was trying to help and to give information. I think this is the last time I shall be writing here.

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:25 AM »
Hi Glen,
I did not want to hurt you and I have no doubts that your knowledge is excellent. The problem is possibly in my English and Czech understanding of terminology.

When we use the name Josef Inwald it is always ment the person. When the company is ment - we speak about Inwald factory or Inwald A.G.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand