No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czechoslovakia Art Glass L&R or R&L  (Read 5768 times)

Sklounion

Re: Czechoslovakia Art Glass L&R or R&L
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 05:42:16 AM »
Trouble with one glass too many,  ;D
I had meant to type immortality membership, but perhaps many a slip twixt cup and lip, I meant that £800 was immoral....
Regards,
Marcus

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »
For 800 plus pounds I can subscribe to a site with more data on them... perhaps I undercharge for the Glass-Study!
Perhaps you do - it has proved an invaluable service to me, so I wouldn't object to paying a little extra.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
"Lazarus and Rosenfeld, importer of Bohemian glass, operated a showroom and shop in New York City during the last quarter of the nineteenth century and the first quartre of the twentieth century.  They were listed as cut glass manufactureres by the American Glass Trade Directory in 1918, but we have reason to believe that they did not actually cut their own wares.  At the end of WWI a brisk trade in cut glass developed with foreign factories, which was a contributing factor to the curtailment of this industry in America; the simple fact was that foreign factories could, and did, produce cut glasswares much cheaper than it was possible for American manufacturers to do." 

from American Cut and Engraved Glass by Revi

That's all it says in the book.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
Thank you. They do appear to have been active in at least setting up potteries and it is quite possible they owned a glass-works or two too. So now they were existing for as much as 100 years and on 3 continents - presumably they would have had an office in Bohemia too. While not using their own name for products - not unusual for holding companies - it seems more likely that the label in the original query does relate to this company.

So turning to Hartmann I find:

They were based in Steinschönau, Bohemia from 1898 to around 1934. Listed as a Glasraffinerie (Decorators) Primarily exporting to their 'Branches' US and England.

Products included enamelled ware under the names: 'Lace de Boheme Cameo', 'Florentine Art Cameo', 'Cameo' and 'Carly'. It is also suggested that they were involved in Barolac production but these were sold in the UK by Jenkins & Co.

The New York operation is also listed as a sales organisation AND a decorator.

Products included the 'Mary Gregory' range, and pseudo cameo enamelled wares 'Florentine Art Cameo' and 'Lace de Boheme' (Acid etched signatures)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »
So far we have them existing as early as 1883 and as late as 1963.

A Lazarus Rozenfeld died in New York aged 74 - Jan 20th 1891 (New York Times) He was Vice-President of the Temple Emmanu-El and an important member of the Jewish community. Is the name common enough for that not to be related?

Their Australian office was quite large LINK TO PICTURES

Brands of glass Windsor Crystal and another range of Cut Glass, possibly Windsor too. Note the Servex oven-safe china, competing with Pyrex perhaps!

Who made Windsor Crystal?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
Earlier reference 1867 - design registration and different address

Proprietor: Lazarus and Rosenfeld
Address: 4 Houndsditch, London
Subject of design: Doll's Hat
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/designregisters/propitemdetail.asp?item_id=205851&proprietor=124&page=6
Oddly I cannot get into the proprietor record.

A Lazarus Rosenfeld emigrated to the US 20th May 1836 from Uhlfeld Germany on board the Ship Lucilla to Richmond Virginia.
From the same town included Emanuel Levins, Emanuel Rosenfeld and Hesekiel Rosenfeld Uhlfeld - no profession given (ISTG Vol 2)

A positively related Chicago operation was Lazarus Rosenfeld and Lehmann. The empire grows. This report mentions a $10,000 pair of vases from their Bohemian operation. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=980CE6D8103BEF33A2575BC2A96F9C94629ED7CF

1914 mentions of their NY properties
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9807E0DC1E39E633A25752C0A9659C946596D6CF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand