No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Kosta piece?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline surfersam

• Members
  • Just found a much needed passion for glass!
    • anglo creative
Is this a Kosta piece?
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »
Hi,

I was looking for something else and stumbled onto a image of a vicke lindstrand teardrop vase, It had a spiral of bubbles elevating towards the stem. The top of the vase was spilt.

I have this piece in my collection and which is very similar to website one with out the split in the top. I just wonder if it is a Kosta one because there is no marking or labels.

I am being thick! here are the measurements 10" high and 2.1/5" wide narrowing to 1"  opening in about 25mm. It weights an impressive 500 grammes.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Is this a Kosta piece?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
The absence of markings on the base would concern me. Even a Kosta second would be marked in some way. Are the bubbles in a pattern? I can't quite make out from the photo.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:56:25 AM »
Hi David,

It was just a hunch I had about the piece. The bubbles in the glass are in a line and spiral around in the central core. The bubbles are done on purpose. The other option I was looking at is Whitefriars teardrop vase but there is no indented pontil. I will get some more images on later with my proper camera and not my phone.

I hope this helps

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
Very unlikely to be made by Whitefriars.

To get a clearer photo, use a white background to reflect light then keep the vase in shade (I use a piece of card held in one hand). The idea is to get light passing through the vase rather than reflecting off the surface, if that makes any sense.

John

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »

Believe it or not I am a photographer. www.anglocreative.com

But i just took the images on the iphone. I will get my set up later and get some quality images on here today.

Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand