No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart 'Woodchester' design or not.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Stuart 'Woodchester' design or not.
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
picture four shows the standard Stuart 'Woodchester' pattern  -  stylized fern leaf, unpolished within the cutting (which is not a full mitre cut).       When I saw this small vase with a flared rim (bit like a jelly glass), with its rather obvious fern leaf decoration, I assumed it was Woodchester - although the piece is without any marks, but it does have a large quality ground/polished pontil mark similar to some Stuart pieces I have.              However, on the small vase it can be seen that the cuts are proper mitres and the polishing goes right into the cuts.       So, bit confused, although I do see (in Hajdamach's "C20 British Glass") that Irene Stevens did something for Webb Corbett called 'Wheatsheaf' (I appreciate this is NOT that design), which has a vaguely similar full mitre cut, on which there is a little pointed finial to the end of the wheatsheaf  -  bit like the pointed bit at the end of my fern leaf.             My vase gives a very good ring, and is about 5.25"/130mm tall  -  but perhaps mine is just a 'Woodchester' with polished mitre cutting.                       All thoughts welcome, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Kevin B

• Members
Re: Stuart 'Woodchester' design or not.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »
I have about 250plus pieces of Stuart Woodchester and whilst I am always on the lookout for more pieces I have never seen this.  Stuart have variations, some of them uncommon and Webb Corbett do something similar, but I have never seen this, so it must be pretty unusual.  The shape also doesn't fit with anything I have or have seen in Stuart so I don't think it is Stuart.
I am trying to bring some control to my glass collection and here is another non-Stuart variation I'm selling on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290638687181?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
I am not saying buy this, I am just being lazy.
Woodchester ran for a long time, and think was pretty successful, so probably other makers tried to cash in on the design with looky-likies.
Kind regards Kevin

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart 'Woodchester' design or not.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:05 PM »
thanks, and think I have also now come to the conclusion that this piece is less likely to be Woodchester.            I do have a reasonable amount of Stuart in the Woodchester pattern, and because of space restrictions am forced to limit what I now acquire, so can confirm I won't be bidding on you very attractive set of champers glasses. :)   However, if you do have the Stuart green trailed arts and crafts looking pieces, now that would be different. ;)
Wish you luck with your ebay selling.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand