No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lizard/reptile skin finish green/blue vase - ID = "Alchemy" Dartington Studio  (Read 1690 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
An amazing looking piece that has a raised lizard or reptile skin effect finish in blue/green and gold. As normal :-), I have no idea about a maker for it.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Lizard/reptile skin finish green/blue vase
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
Dartington Studio?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Lizard/reptile skin finish green/blue vase
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »
Absolutely.  :thup:  
"Alchemy". Sapphire, if it's blue based, Emerald, if it's green based.
There should be an acid etched mark on the base, it might take a bit of peering to find it, it represents two blobs of glass on the blowing irons, inside a circle. One blob is bigger than the other.
Do have a search here for Dartington Studio Glass here, it was short lived (too expensive to produce) and although they stopped only recently, pieces are already very highly collectable!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
You'll find pics of mine here, along with images of the etched mark and the paper label giving the name, also pics of another Dartington Studio piece, with sticky plastic label beside the 2 blobs on a rod mark, this time impressed into a blob of glass over the pontil mark.
I bought these new, from a proper first-hand shop. I have the boxes for the Alchemy pieces, and the red plate I ordered made for me via the Stuart factory shop in crieff from the Studio, so also bought new.
(The Innovate piece is not the same Dartington Studio as did these rather superior, slightly earlier pieces.)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31346.msg170305.html#msg170305
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
You'll find pics of mine here, along with images of the etched mark and the paper label giving the name, also pics of another Dartington Studio piece, with sticky plastic label beside the 2 blobs on a rod mark, this time impressed into a blob of glass over the pontil mark.
I bought these new, from a proper first-hand shop. I have the boxes for the Alchemy pieces, and the red plate I ordered made for me via the Stuart factory shop in crieff from the Studio, so also bought new.
(The Innovate piece is not the same Dartington Studio as did these rather superior, slightly earlier pieces.)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31346.msg170305.html#msg170305

Not sure why but never got notificatiob of the recent replies, probably because it was moved, but anyways,I recieved this today from Dartington after IVO's original tip off that I had seen.

The base of my piece has absolutely no marks whatsoever, no reg number, no "DARTINGTON" nor a double tennis racket type design in a circle. It must have been the one that got away :-)

"" The vase is a Dartington Studio piece from the Alchemy Slim Vase in Emerald and has a product reference of VA1634/EM. The year 2000 was the last year of its production. ""

Thanks all

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :clap:

That's very good to know, thanks!
I was taking a keen interest in Dartington Studio stuff as it was coming out, the foiled stuff was after the Alchemy, the cranberry optic ribbed twisted and slightly "frilly" Victorian style stuff was after than, then nothing. I'm sure it was around 2002 I asked for the charger to be made. I'd seen one on one visit to the Stuart Shop, but it was gone by my next visit, when I had planned to buy it - hence had to order it made.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand