No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request please for possible Nazeing or Walsh.  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request please for possible Nazeing or Walsh.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »
Supposing Steven that it is a modern studio piece  -  might you have any suggestions from whence, or whose production possibly.    Or is the potential field of possibilities too wide.    I have also wondered if it might have been continental.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
Hello,

I imagine we're thinking of it being British and from between the wars because that is the most likely answer :o  Maybe, with the possibility of it still being made to designs from that time, but after the Second World War. Perhaps folks hadn't already read that into my earlier postings?

Over recent months I have noticed that folks visiting here seem to rely on one characteristic to a piece of glass in order to get a line of enquiry, when in fact they should be looking at the item in the round and taking into account all their characteristics in order to make a diagnosis.

OK, so you're using two charcteristics Steve, but both are consistant with production of items from throughout the whole of the 20th century in Britain (and probably elsewhere).

Why not look at this, for instance? http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=527&pos=37&PHPSESSID=6663181ff5bf613098b125e7d43d85a6

That is only one of a number of possible attributions that come to mind - all British and from between the wars.

Nigel

PS. Thanks to Bernard for posting that reference for us all to use.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »
Nigel, when you link to an image in GlassGallery you need to use the URL link below the picture - the one in the File Info section - not the one in the address bar. GG uses a series of dynamic URLs which change the image depending on how the viewer is sorting the pictures in any album... so what you're thinking we're seeing could be entirely different to what we are seeing.  The URL to use will always end in a - dash followed by a number, like this: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11442 (this is the image I'm seeing from your dynamic one above - is that what it should be?)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »
Anne I'm not seeing that at all.  I see a Haden and Haden picture from a catalogue?

m

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
OK, so you're using two charcteristics Steve, but both are consistant with production of items from throughout the whole of the 20th century in Britain (and probably elsewhere).

That was exactly my point; hence why I believe it is necessary to consider alternatives. To begin with the assumption that it is British inter-war production is fine, I was simply suggesting that other possibilities shouldn't be excluded entirely. To do so would be myopic.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
Steve

To do so would be myopic.

Not if you know what it is and you're trying to make folks work to get their reward. In the long run it will do far more good.

Nigel

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
OK Nigel, obviously I misunderstood your original post, I simply thought that no conclusion had been reached so was trying to cast the net a little wider.....

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »
Well, guess I should contribute a little more to show that whilst I am aware that I can't hold a candle to most of you, I do appreciate the effort and time that the experts give to help us beginners.   Must admit to have been drinking this evening, plus the fact that as I'm not really computer literate I am unable to follow too much of what 'da technical wizard's' linguistics mean- but I know she is one hell of a clever woman ;).   Thus I apologise for the rambling.
Looking at the images that Nigel has added (sincere thanks to Bernard) I can say that my bowl looks very similar, even though the pictures are in b. & w.    Like my bowl, these images show a glass that is much more transparent (less densly coloured) than other makers such as Wfrs. and Nazeing (of which I have one piece of each)    I may be wrong, but I detect from the b. & w. pictures (Haden & Haden) that the bowl illustrated has an eliptical shaped raised bump in the bottom, rather than a truly circular shape.   Mine also has a similar shaped raised lump.    Think I am also right in saying that the outside surface of the pieces shown in Bernard's contibution appear to have a matt (non shiny surface) - pitted even perhaps - thus giving rise to my thoughts of 'Pompeian'.   I see also that the colour mentioned is Amethyst.
On a more subjective note, yes, it is true that we jump to a conclusion more so if it leads to what we want to believe  -  and despite the experience and expertise of Lustrousstone, for whom I have great respect, I remain convinced that the base wear and internal marks of my bowl indicate that it is not a recent studio piece.  Of course, pieces of this shape and design were/are iconic of 1920 - 1940 shapes, and whilst the design may well have been continued into the 1950's, I admit to having fallen into the trap of assuming my piece was automatically pre 1940 because of the shape.     The folded rim on my bowl remains a slight source of mystery, however.
If it is of any use I can, of course, add more pictures, and am more than happy to bring along with me to the next Cambridge Fair, if anyone is interested.
My thanks to all of you for your interest, and I am now going to bed because I need to be up at 5 for the b.s.     Paul S.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 12:26:09 AM »
...   PS. Thanks to Bernard for posting that reference for us all to use.

Nigel's dynamic URL gives me the metal part of a Dunhill / WF Prong ashtray / menu holder, so here are the correct absolute links — both are clickable to enlarge:

Note that they are only available to GMB members for linking in to appropriate GMB topics, as with all GlassGallery images.   Anyone wishing to utilise them elsewhere should contact me first.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »
Anne I'm not seeing that at all.  I see a Haden and Haden picture from a catalogue?

m

M that was my point... the use of the dynamic URL gives a different image depending on how you are sorting the images (there's a sort by menu at the top right of each album - so you can sort them by name, by date, or reverse, etc... ) by using the absolute link below an image you will always get the same result as it's the actual fixed-point reference for the image. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand