No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request please for possible Nazeing or Walsh.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: id request please for possible Nazeing or Walsh.
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 08:01:39 PM »
aha - thanks for explaining  :)
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »
Hi,

Firstly, thanks to Anne and Bernard for pointing out (and correcting) my link  :) Something new to learn, for a thing that I can't remember trying to do before :o

Now for Paul's thoughts, which, if this was done after a few glasses of wine, then either that works well, or you're hidding you're light under the proverbial bushel  ;) :)

The only thing I'd draw attention to in your analysis is that the elipse you refer to is probably as a result of the angle the piece is in the photo and is more likely going to reflect the shape of the bowl (round) - although I'm not sure I see the bump thatyou're refering to. Apart from that I wouldn't disagree with the points you have discussed, which nicely analyse the situation thus far.......

Nigel

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
The production technique (bubbled clear glass marvered in coloured chips) seems to be the same as my bowl here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30117.0.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
thanks for your futher thoughts.    Not always easy to see, but am I correct in thinking that the outer surface of the green bowl appears to be as shiny and smooth as the inside??   As mentioned mine is not.   On mine the outer surface is something akin to smooth orange peel - matt in texture, and quite rough towards the base - with an almost 'dried burst bubbles' effect.    Looks as though the green bowl - after marvering - retained a good thickness of clear glass on the inside (like mine) so that - after grinding out the pontil - you are left with a clear area, which can be seen from the outside.    In other words if you take away about a millimetre or tad more from the outside surface, you take away virtually all of the colour  -  and looks as though the pontil dish is also shiny on your bowl.   Other differences when compared to the amethyst piece, such as the folded rim, ground pontil as opposed to snapped and actual colour may or may not be significant.    Did you eventually get a definite attribution for the green bowl?    The stepped upper section is  - apparently - somewhat like the shape of some Nazeing designs.           cheers       Paul S.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
It's a trick of the lighting, but the outside is lightly pitted and quite matt like yours, most obviously on the base and on the lower part of the body where the glass is least expanded during blowing.

Yup, on my piece the colour is entirely on the surface, completely removed by the ground/polished pontil.

Unfortunately, I'm still awaiting a clear attribution. Nigel lists a few possible contenders in a thread for an identical bowl in pink (linked to in my initial post for the green bowl), but I've not been able to confirm either way on any of them.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
6 May 2010:

but I will say, neither Nazeing, nor Gray-Stan.

Nigel

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
I meant this list, with regards a different bowl that uses an identical technique of clear bubbled glass + marvered colour (although Walsh has since been discounted):

Monart - No
Vasart - No
Nazeing - No
Keith Murray - No
S&W - Possible
Walsh - Possible
Haden, Mullett & Haden - Possible

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30007.msg163075.html#msg163075

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum