No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Made in India (PW)  (Read 1136 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Made in India (PW)
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:14:02 AM »
Hi there.  
Bought this for myself only because it did have a label (lol).  Made in India foil label.  Looks like some wear on the base, but not a polished base.  About 2.5 inches high.  Know nothing about PW, or let alone PW from India.  I thought it might be older because of the foil label -  even from there.  Have no clue....So call me Clueless here.

Any info - Age, maker (in India), etc?  (or are these the same as Chinese Ones ??)

Thanks.  :)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Made in India (PW)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:16:40 AM »
Since most are Z-z-z-z-z, I have been googling around here.  I did find this site:  http://verredart.atspace.com/Paperweights.html

If you scroll down there to ones made in India, I did find a blue one that looks like mine, and is also 2.5.  It says there, Quote:

INDIA
Firozabad - Swirl Crimp, Blue & White
(1995)
2.5 inch

So since this site also has like ones from china (1980, 1990, etc) too, is a PW from India around 1995 OK?  That is IF it is the same.  How long as has India been making these. 

This can go to my collection - I still like, and a newbie at these PW things. Thxs

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »
It has little value, but it's pretty and if you like it... I think pretty is the way to go if you can't afford much, as long as you don't expect them to increase in value. If the base is not very round and not shiny, chances are it's Chinese or Indian or even Japanese (but not necessarily). The thing to do is look at every paperweight you see and handle them and eventually you start to recognise the better ones. But there's nothing wrong with Chinese or Indian as an area to collect out of interest.

Firozabad is a place in India with a big glass industry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firozabad

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »
When I meant most were Z-z-z-z, I meant it because I am over-the-pond here.  It is 1:05 a.m. here and you guys are starting your day there....

Thanks for the reply.   :kissy:

That one site had pics there of Chinese/India ones too.  A person would have to collect them in order to photograph them....Right? LOL  Do you think that I found the right person who made this one? I can now can date it, and who did it....even if it is from India.  I like to keep that info anyways for everything.  Again, it can fill those small empty spaces in the China Cabinet..

i have some others, so maybe (some) are better...or the same, as I have couple more that do have labels.  Bear with me, and maybe there are some better ones to come - I hope anyways.....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »
You didn't find who did it, just possibly where (Firozabad) and the date may be when it was purchased

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »
I have some similar glass paperweights I bought in India in the 1970's (on the hippy trail me -  :-[ ) Paperweights were used a lot in India because of the  ceiling fans that everyone had , the fans blow papers around. - I still have the problem here - my Christmas cards always blow down  ;D . As Lustroustone says - the bases are not very round, and I think they are very much mass produced. But still pretty - and mine have memories attached!
JAK
West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum